ESL 296: Schoolboys Get Five-Finger Discount on Candy

Download

Travis and Paul were best friends and in the ninth grade. They didn't like anything about school except the girls and the baseball. They were both on the junior high baseball team. Both wanted to be major league baseball players when they grew up.

On Thursday, baseball practice lasted for two hours after school. After practice, Travis and Paul were hungry and thirsty. Between them, they had $2.05. There was a small grocery store three blocks from the school.

"What can we buy for only $2?" asked Travis.

"We could split a soda and a candy bar," replied Paul.

"That's going to be hard to do, since I like orange soda and you like root beer," said Travis. "And I hate peanuts in candy bars and you love them," said Paul.

As they approached the store, they were still thinking about their problem. One solution, of course, was for one of them to pick the soda and the other to pick the candy bar. The problem with that solution would be that one of them would still be thirsty and the other would still be hungry.

"Wait a minute," said Paul. "I've got an idea." They stopped, and Paul told Travis his idea.

Mr. Cobb was the store owner. He had no use for kids. They were little people with little money. His eyes narrowed as he saw the boys approaching the store.

After they entered the store, Travis walked over to the big cooler that was filled with ice and sodas. Paul walked over to the candy bar section.

"Mr. Cobb, you don't have any orange soda," Travis said.

"Yes, I do. Just dig a little. You'll find one."

Travis dug for a minute.

"I still can't find one."

"Are you blind? I'll be right there."

Mr. Cobb started digging through the ice. Paul immediately put two candy bars into his trousers?baggy pockets. He patted the pockets down a little bit.

"Look! Orange soda! What did I tell you?"

"Thank you, sir," Travis said.

As Travis was paying for the orange soda and the root beer, Mr. Cobb looked at Paul.

"You're not buying anything?"

"No, sir. We just wanted some sodas."

"Then why were you looking at the candy bars?"

"Just to see if you got any new brands, sir." Mr. Cobb's narrow eyes got narrower as they moved slowly from Paul's eyes to his shirt, to his pants, and to his shoes.

"If I ever catch you stealing from me, I'll chop off your hands, you hear me?" For emphasis, Mr. Cobb reached down beneath the countertop and pulled out a butcher knife, sharp and shiny.

Both boys were startled. They ran out of the store.

"Come back here. You forgot your change!" Mr. Cobb yelled at them.

445634 top -

*Vocabulary:

• approach:
• beneath:
• blind:
• butcher:
• cooler:
• emphasis:
• grocery:
• hungry:
• junior:
• league:
• narrow:
• peanut:
• section:
• soda:
• solution:
• split:
• startle:
• steal:
• thirsty:
• trousers:
• yell:

--------------------

*Wh-Questions:

• What was their relationship?

• What grade were they in?

• What did they like about school?

• What team were they both on?

• What did they want to be when they grew up?

• How long did practice last on Thursday?

• When was practice held on Thursday?

• How did they feel after practice?

• How much money did they have?

• How far was the grocery store from the school?

--------------------

*Fill in blanks:

Travis and Paul were best friends and in ____ ninth grade. They didn’t like anything about school____ the girls and the baseball. They were both ____ the junior high baseball team. Both wanted to ____ major league baseball players when they grew up.

____ Thursday, baseball practice lasted for two hours after ____ . After practice, Travis and Paul were hungry and ____ . Between them, they had $2.05. There was a ____ grocery store three blocks from the school.

“What ____ we buy for only $2?” asked Travis.

“We____ split a soda and a candy bar,” replied ____ .

“That’s going to be hard to do, since ____ like orange soda and you like root beer,” ____ Travis. “And I hate peanuts in candy bars ____ you love them,” said Paul.

As they approached ____ store, they were still thinking about their problem. ____ solution, of course, was for one of them ____ pick the soda and the other to pick ____ candy bar. The problem with that solution would ____ that one of them would still be thirsty ____ the other would still be hungry.

“Wait a ____ ,” said Paul. “I’ve got an idea.” They stopped, ____ Paul told Travis his idea.

Mr. Cobb was____ store owner. He had no use for kids. ____ were little people with little money. His eyes ____ as he saw the boys approaching the store.

____ they entered the store, Travis walked over to____ big cooler that was filled with ice and ____ . Paul walked over to the candy bar section.

“____ . Cobb, you don’t have any orange soda,” Travis____ .

“Yes, I do. Just dig a little. You’ll ____ one.”

Travis dug for a minute.

“I still ____ ’t find one.”

“Are you blind? I’ll be right ____ .”

Mr. Cobb started digging through the ice. Paul ____ put two candy bars into his trousers’ baggy ____ . He patted the pockets down a little bit.

“____ ! Orange soda! What did I tell you?”

“Thank ____ , sir,” Travis said.

As Travis was paying for ____ orange soda and the root beer, Mr. Cobb ____ at Paul.

“You’re not buying anything?”

“No, sir. ____ just wanted some sodas.”

“Then why were you ____ at the candy bars?”

“Just to see if ____ got any new brands, sir.” Mr. Cobb’s narrow ____ got narrower as they moved slowly from Paul’s ____ to his shirt, to his pants, and to ____ shoes.

“If I ever catch you stealing from ____ , I’ll chop off your hands, you hear me?” ____ emphasis, Mr. Cobb reached down beneath the countertop ____ pulled out a butcher knife, sharp and shiny.

____ boys were startled. They ran out of the ____ .

“Come back here. You forgot your change!” Mr. ____ yelled at them.

-------------------

*Translate into Vietnamese:

445637 top -

*Vocabulary:

• approach: đến gần
• beneath: bên dưới
• blind: mù
• butcher: người bán thịt
• cooler: lạnh
• emphasis: nhấn mạnh
• grocery: hàng tạp hoá
• hungry: đói bụng
• junior: nhỏ
• league: liên minh
• narrow: hẹp
• peanut: đậu phọng
• section: phần
• soda: soda
• solution: giải pháp
• split: chia ra
• startle: làm sợ hãi
• steal: ăn cắp
• thirsty: khát nước
• trousers: quần
• yell: hét

===========================================================

*Wh-Questions:

• What was their relationship? best friend

• What grade were they in? ninth grade

• What did they like about school? girls and the baseball

• What team were they both on? junior high baseball team

• What did they want to be when they grew up? major league baseball players

• How long did practice last on Thursday? two hours

• When was practice held on Thursday? after school

• How did they feel after practice? hungry and thirsty

• How much money did they have? $2.05

• How far was the grocery store from the school? three blocks

*Fill in blanks:

Travis and Paul were best friends and in ___the_ ninth grade. They didn’t like anything about school__except__ the girls and the baseball. They were both __on__ the junior high baseball team. Both wanted to __be__ major league baseball players when they grew up.

__On__ Thursday, baseball practice lasted for two hours after __school__ . After practice, Travis and Paul were hungry and __thirsty__ . Between them, they had $2.05. There was a _small___ grocery store three blocks from the school.

“What _can___ we buy for only $2?” asked Travis.

“We____could__ split a soda and a candy bar,” replied _Paul___ .

“That’s going to be hard to do, since _I___ like orange soda and you like root beer,” __said__ Travis. “And I hate peanuts in candy bars __and__ you love them,” said Paul.

As they approached __the__ store, they were still thinking about their problem. _One___ solution, of course, was for one of them __to__ pick the soda and the other to pick _the___ candy bar. The problem with that solution would __be__ that one of them would still be thirsty __and__ the other would still be hungry.

“Wait a __minute__ ,” said Paul. “I’ve got an idea.” They stopped, __and__ Paul told Travis his idea.

Mr. Cobb was__the__ store owner. He had no use for kids. __They__ were little people with little money. His eyes __narrowed__ as he saw the boys approaching the store.

____After__ they entered the store, Travis walked over to__the__ big cooler that was filled with ice and _sodas___ . Paul walked over to the candy bar section.

“__Mr__ . Cobb, you don’t have any orange soda,” Travis__said__ .

“Yes, I do. Just dig a little. You’ll __find__ one.”

Travis dug for a minute.

“I still ___can_ ’t find one.”

“Are you blind? I’ll be right _there___ .”

Mr. Cobb started digging through the ice. Paul ____immediately__ put two candy bars into his trousers’ baggy ____pockets__ . He patted the pockets down a little bit.

“__“__Look__ ! Orange soda! What did I tell you?”

“Thank __you__ , sir,” Travis said.

As Travis was paying for __the__ orange soda and the root beer, Mr. Cobb ____looked__ at Paul.

“No, sir. _We___ just wanted some sodas.”

“Then why were you ____looking__ at the candy bars?”

“Just to see if __you__ got any new brands, sir.” Mr. Cobb’s narrow __eyes__ got narrower as they moved slowly from Paul’s __eyes__ to his shirt, to his pants, and to __his__ shoes.

“If I ever catch you stealing from __me__ , I’ll chop off your hands, you hear me?” __For__ emphasis, Mr. Cobb reached down beneath the countertop __and__ pulled out a butcher knife, sharp and shiny.

__Both__ boys were startled. They ran out of the ____store__ .

“Come back here. You forgot your change!” Mr. __Cobb__ yelled at them.

==========================================================

Học sinh nam chôm chỉa kẹo

Travis và Paul là bạn thân và học lớp chín. Chúng không thích gì về trường học ngoại trừ các cô gái và môn bóng chày. Chúng đều trong đội bóng chày trẻ. Cả hai đều muốn chơi trong đội tuyển bóng chày khi lớn lên.

Vào thứ năm, luyện bóng chày hai tiếng sau giờ học. Sau khi luyện, Travis và Paul đói và khát. Cả hai chỉ có $2.05. Có một cửa hàng tạp hoá nhỏ cách trường ba dãy nhà.

"Chúng mình có thể mua gì chỉ có $2?" Travis hỏi.

"Chúng ta chia ra một lon nước ngọt và một thỏi kẹo," Paul trả lời.

"Sẽ khó, vì tớ thích soda cam và cậu thích nước ngọt," Travis nói. "Và tớ ghét kẹo có đậu phộng còn cậu thích nó," Paul nói.

Khi đến gần cửa hàng, chúng vẫn suy nghĩ về vấn đề. Có một giải pháp, dĩ nhiên, là một đứa chọn soda và đứa kia chọn kẹo. Vấn đề là với cách giải quyết này một đứa vẫn khát và một đứa vẫn đói.

"Chờ chút," Paul nói. "Tớ có ý này." Chúng dừng lại và Paul bảo Travis ý tưởng của mình.

Ông Cobb là chủ cửa hàng. Ông không thích lũ trẻ lũ trẻ. Chúng là những trẻ con với ít tiền. Cặp mắt ông nheo lại khi thấy những đứa trẻ đến gần cửa hàng.

Sau khi vào cửa hàng, Travis đến tủ lạnh lớn nơi chứa đầy đá và soda. Paul đi đến quầy kẹo.

"Ông Cobb, ông không có soda cam," Travis nói.

"Có, tao có. Lục một chút. Mày sẽ thấy."

Travis lục lọi cả phút.

"Cháu vẫn không thấy."

"Đui à? Chờ tao đến ngay."

Ông Cobb bắt đầu lục tìm qua lớp đá. Paul lập tức lấy hai thanh kẹo vào túi quần rộng. Nó lắc túi xuống sâu hơn.

"Nhìn này! Soda cam! Tao bảo mày thế nào?"

"Cảm ơn, ông," Travis nói.

Khi Travis trả tiền cho soda cam và bia, ông Cobb nhìn Paul.

"Mày không mua gì à?"

"Không, thưa ông. Cháu chỉ muốn soda."

"Sao mày nhìn quầy kẹo?"

"Chỉ nhìn xem có hiệu nào mới không, thưa ông." Ông Cobb càng nheo mắt hơn khi nhìn chầm chậm từ mắt Paul lên áo, lên quần và giầy.

"Nếu tao bắt được mày lấy cắp, tao sẽ chặt tay mày, nghe không?" Để nhấn mạnh thêm, ông Cobb cúi xuống quầy và rút dao xẻ thịt ra, sắc và sáng choang.

Ca hai đứa sợ hãi. Chúng chạy khỏi cửa hàng.

"Quay lại đây. Quên tiền thối nè! Ông Cobb hét lên với chúng.

445943 top -

@lanhuongbm,

Tựa bài dịch như vậy xem ra không ổn rồi lanhuong à. Five-Finger Discount có nghĩa là shoplifting, steal.

Root beer không phải là bia đâu, nó là loại nước ngọt giống như xá xị của Việt Nam đó. Soda là gọi chung cho các loại nước ngọt như Coke, Sprite,... bạn chỉ cần dịch nước cam là đủ rồi.

He had no use for kids
Ông thật vô dụng cho lũ trẻ

Bạn nên đọc cả đoạn để đoán ý ngược lại câu này. Ý câu này là ông không thích khách hàng con nít lắm vì chúng làm gì có nhiều tiền mà mua sắm.

Theo ý ndh, phần xưng hô của ông Cobb với bọn trẻ nên dịch là mày tao thì hợp hơn.

445989 top -

Dạ, cảm ơn nguoidochanh, lanhuong đã sửa lại.

446506 top -
LESSON 296:

SCHOOLBOYS GHET FIVE-FINGER DISCOUNT ON CANDY -
NAM SINH LẤY TRỘM KẸO

*Vocabulary:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
• approach: tới gần.
• beneath: phía bên dưới.
• blind: đui mù, mù quáng.
• butcher: đồ tể, người bán thịt.
• cooler: máy ướp lạnh, thùng làm lạnh.
• emphasis: nhấn mạnh, nhấn giọng.
• grocery: tiệm tạp hoá.
• hungry: đói bụng.
• junior: học sinh trung học cơ sở.
• league: liên đòn, liên hiệp.
• narrow: hẹp, chật hẹp.
• peanut: đậu phộng.
• section: khu, khu vực.
• soda: nước xô-đa, nước ngọt.
• solution: giải pháp.
• split: chia ra, tách ra.
• startle: làm giật mình, làm hoảng hốt.
• steal: ăn cắp, lất trộm.
• thirsty: khát, cảm thấy khát.
• trousers: quần.
• yell: gào lên, quát lên.

*Wh-Questions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
• What was their relationship?
- They were best friend.

• What grade were they in?
- They were in the ninth grade.

• What did they like about school?
- They didn't like anything about school.

• What team were they both on?
- They were both on the junior high baseball team.

• What did they want to be when they grew up?
- They wanted to be major league baseball players when they grew up.

• How long did practice last on Thursday?
-The practice lasted for two hours on Thursday.

• When was practice held on Thursday?
- The baseball practice was held on Thursday.

• How did they feel after practice?
- After practice they felt hungry and thirsty.

• How much money did they have?
- They had $2.05.

• How far was the grocery store from the school?
- The grocery store was three blocks from the school.

*Fill in blanks:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis and Paul were best friends and in the ninth grade. They didn’t like anything about school except the girls and the baseball. They were both on the junior high baseball team. Both wanted to be major league baseball players when they grew up.

On Thursday, baseball practice lasted for two hours after school. After practice, Travis and Paul were hungry and thirsty. Between them, they had $2.05. There was a small grocery store three blocks from the school.

“What can we buy for only $2?” asked Travis.

“We could split a soda and a candy bar,” replied Paul.

“That’s going to be hard to do, since I like orange soda and you like root beer,” said Travis. “And I hate peanuts in candy bars and you love them,” said Paul.

As they approached the store, they were still thinking about their problem. One solution, of course, was for one of them to pick the soda and the other to pick the candy bar. The problem with that solution would be that one of them would still be thirsty and the other would still be hungry.

“Wait a minute,” said Paul. “I’ve got an idea.” They stopped, and Paul told Travis his idea.

Mr. Cobb was the store owner. He had no use for kids. They were little people with little money. His eyes narrowed as he saw the boys approaching the store.

After they entered the store, Travis walked over to thebig cooler that was filled with ice and soda. Paul walked over to the candy bar section.

Mr. Cobb, you don’t have any orange soda,” Travis said.

“Yes, I do. Just dig a little. You’ll find one.”

Travis dug for a minute.

“I still can’t find one.”

“Are you blind? I’ll be right there.”

Mr. Cobb started digging through the ice. Paul immediately put two candy bars into his trousers’ baggy pockets. He patted the pockets down a little bit.

Look! Orange soda! What did I tell you?”

“Thank you, sir,” Travis said.

As Travis was paying for the orange soda and the root beer, Mr. Cobb looked at Paul.

“No, sir. We just wanted some sodas.”

“Then why were you walking at the candy bars?”

“Just to see if you got any new brands, sir.” Mr. Cobb’s narrow eyes got narrower as they moved slowly from Paul’s eyes to his shirt, to his pants, and to his shoes.

“If I ever catch you stealing from me, I’ll chop off your hands, you hear me?” For emphasis, Mr. Cobb reached down beneath the countertop and pulled out a butcher knife, sharp and shiny.

Both boys were startled. They ran out of the store.

“Come back here. You forgot your change!” Mr. Cobb yelled at them.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis và Paul là đôi bạn thân và học cùng lớp chín. Chúng không thích bất cứ thứ gì ở trường học ngoại trừ bọn con gái và bóng chày. Cả hai đứa đều ở trong đội tuyển của trường trung học cơ sở. Cả hai đứa điều mơ ước trở thành tuyển thủ trong đội tuyển của liên đoàn bóng chày khi chúng lớn lên.

Hôm Thứ Năm, buổi tập bóng chày kéo dài trong hai tiếng đồng hồ sau giờ học. Sau khi tập xong, Travis và Paul đều đói bụng và khát nước. Cả hai đứa góp lại, chúng có 2.05 đô la. Có một tiệm tạp hoá nhỏ cách trường ba dãy phố.

"Tụi mình có thể mua thứ gì với chỉ 2 đô-la hả?" Travis hỏi.

"Mình có thể chia nhau một lon xô-đa và một thanh kẹo," Paul trả lời.

"Sẽ rất khó để thực hiện, khi tao thích xô-đa và mày thích xá xị," Travis nói. "Và tao ghét đậu phộng trong kẹo còn mày lại khoái chúng," Paul nói.

Khi chúng đến gần cửa tiệm, chúng vẫn còn suy nghĩ về vấn đề đó. Một giải pháp, tất nhiên, là một đứa trong chúng phải lấy xô-đa và đứa kia lấy thanh kẹo. Vấn đề của giải pháp đó là sẽ làm cho một đứa trong chúng vẫn sẽ còn khát nước và đứa kia vẫn sẽ còn đói bụng.

"Đợi một lát," Paul nói. "Tao có kế này nè." Chúng dừng lại, và Paul nói cho Travis nghe kế hoạch của nó.

Ông Cobb là chủ cửa hàng. Ông không thích bán hàng cho mấy đứa trẻ con. Chúng nhỏ cà người và nhỏ cả tiền. Mắt ông ta nheo lại khi trông thấy mấy cậu con trai đến gần cửa hàng.

Sau khi đi vào cửa hàng, Travis bước tới tủ ướp lạnh lớn chứa đầy nước đá và nước ngọt.

"Ông Cobb ơi, ông không có lon xô-đa cam nào cả," Travis nói.

"Có chứ. Mày xới lên một tý chứ. Mày sẽ thấy một lon đó."

"Travis đào đào xới xới một lúc.

"Cháu vẫn không thấy lon nào cả."

"Mày mù rồi hả? Tao sẽ tới ngay bây giờ."

"Ông Cobb bắt đầu đào bới nước đá. Ngay lập tức Paul đút hai thanh kẹo vào túi quần rộng thùng thình. Nó vỗ nhẹ cái túi một chút để cho cái túi xẹp xuống.

"Mày nhìn nè! Lon xô-đa cam đây! Tao đã bảo mày cái gì chứ?"

"Cám ơn, thưa ông," Travis nói.

Khi Travis trả tiền lon nước xô-đa cam và xá xị, Ông Cobb nhìn Paul.

"Mày không mua thứ gì hả?"

"Dạ không, thưa ông. Tụi cháu chỉ muốm mua mấy lon nước ngọt thôi."

"Vậy tại sao mày lại nhìn vào mấy thanh kẹo chớ?"

"Cháu chỉ nhìn xem ông có loại hàng gì mới không thôi, thưa ông." Đôi mắt nheo nheo của ông Cobb lại càng nheo lại hơn khi chúng di chuyển chậm chạp từ đôi mắt của Paul đến cái áo sơ-mi, đến cái quần, và đôi giày của nó.

"Nếu tao bắt được mày đang ăn cắp hàng của tao, tao sẽ chặt bàn tay của mày rời ra, mày có nghe tao nói không đó?" Để nhấn mạnh, Ông Cobb với tay xuống dưới quầy và rút ra một con dao chặt thịt, bén ngót và sáng loá.

Cả hai đứa con trai đều giật mình hoảng hốt. Chúng bỏ chạy ra khỏi cửa hàng.

"Quay lại đây. Tụi bây quên lấy tiền thối nè! Ông Cobb gào theo chúng.

492906 top -

. 1.New To America
. 2.A Haircut
. 3.The Yardman
. 4.Grab Your Umbrellas
. 5.Shopping for Bargains
. 6.Horses to Ride
. 7.A Shower Injury
. 8.Pete's Sharp Knife
. 9.A Good Sandwich
. 10.Sara's Upset Stomach
. 11.Please Marry Me!
. 12.Laundry Day
. 13.A Noisy Neighbor
. 14.The New Realtor
. 15.The Fire Alarm
. 16.Eddie's Short Visit
. 17.Carbon Monoxide
. 18.A Visit to Asia
. 19.School Boys
. 20.The Loose Button
. 21.The Pile of Paper
. 22.Brushing and Flossing
. 23.Raising the Kids
. 24.A Clean Toilet Bowl
. 25.A Love Letter
. 26.A Bird Attacks
. 27.A Daytime Robbery
. 28.Trick or Treat
. 29.The Motorcycle Rider
. 30.Spock Saves His Dad
. 31.Provider Overbills Customer
. 32.The Breakup
. 33.Famous Model Dies
. 34.Shopping Carts Everywhere
. 35.Four Slit Throats
. 36.Does Garlic Mean Garlic?
. 37.A Jealous Girlfriend
. 38.Towns Hit by Snowstorms
. 39.Another Jealous Girlfriend
. 40.She Loves Her Son
. 41.The Doctor’s Exam
. 42.Hospitals Can Make You Sick
. 43.English Is So Hard
. 44.Hollywood Stars and Tourists
. 45.GEICO’s TV Lizard
. 46.Law and Order in LA
. 47.Destruction of Iraq
. 48.Have You Seen This Man?
. 49.LA Traffic Report
. 50.LA Radio News

. 51.Trash Truck Misses Pick-up
. 52.Her First Driving Accident
. 53.You’re Not a Good Principal
. 54.I’ve Got You Covered
. 55.Paris Goes to Jail in LA
. 56.A Year with No TV
. 57.Let’s Buy Some Paint
. 58.I Need Water for My Clients
. 59.Putting Bunny to Sleep
. 60.Where Is That Darn Battery?
. 61.If You Really Love Me…
. 62.The Wedding Gift (1)
. 63.The Wedding Gift (2)
. 64.Does a Tiger Change Its Stripes?
. 65.No Place Like an Open House
. 66."We Could Have All Died!"
. 67.It’s the Thought that Counts
. 68.Who Ordered the Scallops?
. 69.You’re Not My Daddy
. 70.Let He Who Is Without Sin…
. 71.Shopping at the 99 Cents Store
. 72.Betting Big in Vegas
. 73.Priced to Sell!
. 74.The Handyman Comes
. 75.A Woman Has Needs
. 76.A Hot Day and a Cool Pool
. 77.Up, Up, and Away
. 78.Man's Best Friend
. 79.Six Feet Under
. 80.An Unhappy Worker
. 81.Why the Sky Is Brown
. 82.It’s a Small World
. 83.Suspicious Shoppers
. 84.Death Is Part of Life
. 85.Tagger Shoots Woman
. 86.Crime on the Rise
. 87.Too Soft on Crime
. 88.Pluto Chases Kid
. 89.In Harm’s Way
. 90."Semper Buy"
. 91.A Little Respect, Please
. 92.A Dream from Beyond-1
. 93.A Dream from Beyond-2
. 94.A Trip to Egypt
. 95.No Doughnuts for Old Folks
. 96.It’s Just Business
. 97.A Walk in the Wild
. 98.Elvis Is Alive and Well
. 99.Bad Weed, Bad Call
. 100.Shark Attack

. 101.Love in the Hospital
. 102.Interstate Bridge Collapses
. 103.Stop Selling Those Bunnies
. 104.Actor Tries to Kill Himself
. 105.US Senator Says He’s not Gay
. 106.E.Coli Is Everywhere
. 107.Influenza
. 108.The Hospital Orderly-1
. 109.The Hospital Orderly-2
. 110.Flower Power
. 111.Dog Inherits Millions
. 112.Man Holds Staff Hostage
. 113.Young Boy Defends Sister
. 114.Remember Me?
. 115.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 116.Sail Around the World
. 117.New Dog-Barking Law
. 118.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-1
. 119.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-2
. 120.Cleaning a Dirty Plate
. 121.Her Driving Lesson
. 122.Hurricane Dean
. 123.Adventurer Disappears
. 124.Nursing Student Disappears
. 125.The Lovely Banana
. 126.Smells like Chicken
. 127.The Wedding-1
. 128.The Wedding-2
. 129.The Waiter
. 130.Your Country Thanks You
. 131.D.B.Cooper Lives On-1
. 132.D.B.Cooper Lives On-2
. 133.I’m No Alcoholic!
. 134.48 Homes Burn Down-1
. 135.48 Homes Burn Down-2
. 136.Drought Attacks Georgia
. 137.A Bad MRI Experience
. 138.Body in a Barrel-1
. 139.Body in a Barrel-2
. 140.Red Meat, Gray Water
. 141.All Bite, No Bark
. 142.Tiger Kills Two Men-1
. 143.Tiger Kills Two Men-2
. 144.Red Flowers Make Her See Red
. 145.The Starbucks Robbery
. 146.The Argument-1
. 147.The Argument-2
. 148.The Toilet Tank-1
. 149.The Toilet Tank-2
. 150.Santa Was Molested

. 151.Fire Kills Two Young Girls
. 152.Police Arrest Fire-Starters
. 153.Get out of "Jail"-1
. 154.Get out of "Jail"-2
. 155.New Year Celebrations
. 156.$50K to Waitress-1
. 157.$50K to Waitress-2
. 158.Who Needs School?
. 159.Black Friday
. 160.JFK Assassination
. 161.Don’t Top Off the Tanks
. 162.The Clapper
. 163.Tuberculosis Still Kills
. 164.Old Dogs Become Young Again
. 165.Ham and Eggplant
. 166.A Hole in Her Ear-1
. 167.A Hole in Her Ear-2
. 168.The Drugs Keep Coming
. 169.Missing Husband-1
. 170.Missing Husband-2
. 171.Don’t Get Mad-Get Even
. 172.The Christmas Gift-1
. 173.The Christmas Gift-2
. 174.The Haircut-1
. 175.The Haircut-2
. 176.The Robbery at the Mall-1
. 177.The Robbery at the Mall-2
. 178.The Driving Lesson-1
. 179.The Driving Lesson-2
. 180.The Move to Georgia-1
. 181.The Move to Georgia-2
. 182.I’ll Get a Job in a Restaurant
. 183.A Cleaner River-1
. 184.A Cleaner River-2
. 185.The Spitter
. 186.Kill Those Flies-1
. 187.Kill Those Flies-2
. 188.The Oil Change-1
. 189.The Oil Change-2
. 190.Boy Starts Huge Fire
. 191.Writers Go on Strike
. 192.Please Don’t Hurt Me!
. 193.It’s Just a Little White Lie
. 194.Jury Service in California
. 195.The Rude Golfer-1
. 196.The Rude Golfer-2
. 197.Man Invents Toilet for Cars
. 198.Monkeys Cause Man’s Death
. 199.The Light Eater-1
. 200.The Light Eater-2

. 201.Sara Went Shopping
. 202.Man Injured at Fast Food Place
. 203.A Life-Saving Cow
. 204.Driver Loses Mabel, Finds Jail
. 205.Jerry Decided To Buy a Gun
. 206.Freeway Chase
. 207.Better To Be Unlucky
. 208.Food Fight Erupted in Prison
. 209.How His Pig is Doing
. 210.Goats Being Hired
. 211.A Missing Cat
. 212.Book Him
. 213.Water Under the Sink-1
. 214.Water Under the Sink-2
. 215.Theft Occurs Everywhere
. 216.Eggs and a Bunny
. 217.Goodbye to Clean Couple
. 218.$100 Deposit
. 219.Books Don’t Grow on Trees
. 220.A Murder-Suicide
. 221.New Store and Its Owners
. 222.Hit-and-Run Charge
. 223.Gasoline Prices Hit Record High
. 224.A Festival of Books
. 225.Crazy Housing Prices
. 226.Happy and Unhappy Renters
. 227.Pulling Out Nine Tons of Trash
. 228.Cloning Pets
. 229.Rentals at the Oceanside
. 230.Trees Are a Threat
. 231.Gets Booked, Writes a Book
. 232.Popular Park Reopens
. 233.Swim Classes Begin Soon
. 234.Not Sitting Around
. 235.Get Millions for Homeless
. 236.Tenants Watch Building Burn
. 237.Bathtub Blues
. 238.Blood Drive at Civic Center
. 239.City Hosts 42nd Art Fair
. 240.City and Crime
. 241.Bank Robbery
. 242.Immigration Goes Online
. 243.Jimmy Fixes His Door
. 244.Needs a New Air-Conditioner
. 245.Man Gets 12 Years for Fraud
. 246.Man Shoots Up Post Office
. 247.Murals Are Over 200 Years Old
. 248.Pier Collapses
. 249.Cameras in Police Cars
. 250.A School Girl Sues Her School

. 251.SUV Driver Sends Officer Flying
. 252.Boy Drowns in Neighbor's Pool
. 253.Woman Dies in House Fire
. 254.Plane Crashes into House
. 255.Fishing for Girls
. 256.Shot Next to Christmas Tree
. 257.Stabbed Outside Nightclub
. 258.Fishing Boat Sinks
. 259.The Mysterious Carport Stain
. 260.Lies About Winning Lottery
. 261.Victory Dance Leads to Death
. 262.Eat Your Vegetables
. 263.Honk if You're in a Hurry
. 264.The Man Who Loved Women
. 265.How to Get out of Jury Duty
. 266.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 267.Female Seeks Mature Male
. 268.Let’s Go Fishing
. 269.Train Wreck “Frees” Cows
. 270.Valuable Guitar Found
. 271.Stepmother Kills Herself
. 272.Beautiful Teacher Smiles
. 273.Are Criminals Taking Over LA?
. 274.Police Arrest Happy Van Driver
. 275.Say Your Prayers
. 276.The Final Phone Call
. 277.Almost Perfect Children
. 278.There Goes the Neighborhood!
. 279.Let’s Go to Vegas!
. 280.Squirrel Attacks Woman
. 281.To Save His Baby
. 282.English Is Confusing
. 283.Pump Up the Tires
. 284.Don’t Go Swimming
. 285.The Park That Went to the Dogs
. 286.Can You Spare a Carburetor?
. 287.Golf Like a Girl
. 288.Take Me Out to the Ball Game
. 289.Take This Job and Shove It
. 290.Where Did That Book Go?
. 291.When You’ve Got Your Health
. 292.That ‘New Car’ Smell
. 293.Inviting Poor Student to Dinner
. 294.When I'm in the Bathroom
. 295.It Was an Old, Worthless Clock
. 296.Five-Finger Discount on Candy
. 297.Collecting Seashells
. 298.At the Store Entrance
. 299.We Will See the World
. 300.Get Me a Caffe Latte

. 301.The Slow Computer-1
. 302.The Slow Computer-2
. 303.The Careful Reader
. 304.Avoid the Flu
. 305.Magician Attracts Women
. 306.US Border Patrol
. 307.Car Shopping in California
. 308.Happy Anniversary
. 309.“Read All about It!”
. 310.A Factory Worker
. 311.Bad Pork
. 312.Don’t Eat the Meat
. 313.Copper Robbers
. 314.Weekly Driving Lessons-1
. 315.Weekly Driving Lessons-2
. 316.Laundry Day-1
. 317.Laundry Day-2
. 318.The Bargain CD Set-1
. 319.The Bargain CD Set-2
. 320.It’s All Over
. 321.The New Clothes-1
. 322.The New Clothes-2
. 323.Food as Punishment
. 324.US Passports Outsourced
. 325.The Demanding Son
. 326.A Practical Joke
. 327.The Dead Pedestrian
. 328.Bad News, Good News
. 329.The Cluster Balloonist
. 330.The Rude Clerk
. 331.The Tax Charge
. 332.The Fire in the Hills-1
. 333.The Fire in the Hills-2
. 334.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-1
. 335.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-2
. 336.The Rental Car-1
. 337.The Rental Car-2
. 338.The Marathon Cheater
. 339.School Bus Crashes
. 340.Don’t Take My Property
. 341.New Law for Taco Trucks
. 342.The Refund-1
. 343.The Refund-2
. 344.Shut Your Mouth
. 345.TSA’s New Policy-1
. 346.TSA’s New Policy-2
. 347.I’m Pregnant
. 348.Court Approves Same-Sex Marriage
. 349.Impolite to His Brother
. 350.Protecting the Public
. 351.Malibu to License Paparazzi
. 352.I'm Moving to NY
. 353.The Heart Attack-1
. 354.The Heart Attack-2
. 355.Let's Speak English

THE END

Update: October 16th, 2016.
PayPal về email:
[email protected]

Chi phiếu gửi về:
Jimmy Ton
4369 46 St.
San Diego, CA 92115

Việt Nam chuyển tới:
Phạm Thị Tuyết Phượng
Số tài khoản: 4973099
ACB Châu Văn Liêm, TPHCM

Ý kiến về Quỹ VietDitru

*THÔNG TIN QUAN TRỌNG: Do tình hình dịch COVID-19 diễn biến phức tạp, từ ngày 19/3, Đại Sứ Quán và Lãnh Sự Quán Hoa Kỳ sẽ ngừng phỏng vấn cấp xét thị thực. Toàn bộ lịch hẹn từ ngày 19/3 trở đi sẽ bị huỷ. Xem thông tin chi tiết

ESL đăng ký: Bạn không cần phải đăng ký gì cả. Chỉ việc nhẩy vào bài ESL 1 học và làm bài tập. Tiếp tục những bài kế tiếp càng nhanh càng tốt. Mình sẽ 888 và thỉnh thoảng cùng nhau nhắc nhở cho vui hén. Chứ thật ra việc học là việc của tự bản thân mình. Mình giỏi thì mình được nhờ hén.

Nickname           # bài
-----------------------------------------
Anthonydavetruong 51
BaoLaTinhChua 1
Bluecloud 1
bongbong 3
Brianthao08 2
Brenda 8
Cachua 4
Catandpuppy 2
Chaubaoct 11
Chauongco 2