ESL 265: How to Get out of Jury Duty

Download

The mailman delivers good news and bad news. Topping the "bad news?list for many people who live in Los Angeles is a jury summons. This document tells you that you must respond by mail or phone for possible service on a jury. Many people feel that jury duty is a boring chore and would prefer not doing it.

In fact, court clerks say that the most common question they hear is: Why do I have to serve? The official response is: Jury duty is a responsibility that all qualified citizens must share.

If you are a citizen, if you can read and understand English, if you're over 18 years old, and if you're not a felon, you are eligible for jury duty. If you ignore the summons, you might be fined up to $1,500.

A jury trial might last one day or one month. If you work for the government, this is no problem, because the government will pay you your regular salary while you are on jury duty. However, if you are self-employed, you lose your regular income for that time period. Instead of your regular income, you get $15 a DAY for sitting on a jury. This is another reason people try to avoid jury duty.

Jack got the bad news yesterday. Even though he was retired and sat around all day watching reruns of old movies, he told his wife Polly he wasn't going to be a juror. He hated jury duty and he was not going to let the courts interfere with his retirement.

"So how do you think you are going to get out of it?" Polly asked, both amused and irritated. "Are you going to claim that you're dead? Or are you going to tell them you've moved out of the country?"

"No, both of those involve too much paperwork. I've got a better idea. It's a medical excuse. It says here that if you have a physical disability, you can be dismissed."

"What's your disability? Your 'bad back' doesn't allow you to sit in a chair watching reruns all day?"

"No. Something better than that. I've got gas. It'll offend the other jurors and everyone else in the courtroom. They'll have to open all the windows or issue gas masks."

"But there's one problem. You don't have gas."

"But I know how to create it. I'll eat a lot of peanuts and fruit the morning that I go to court. As soon as they get a whiff of my ‘problem," they'll tell me to go home and stay home."

"That's a brilliant idea!" Polly said, as she rolled her eyes. At least it would get him out of the house for one day, she thought.

442191 top -

*Vocabulary:

• amuse:
• avoid:
• boring:
• brilliant:
• chore:
• claim:
• clerk:
• disability:
• duty:
• eligible:
• felon:
• fine:
• ignore:
• interfere:
• irritate:
• issue:
• juror:
• jury:
• mask:
• offend:
• physical:
• prefer:
• qualify:
• regular:
• respond:
• responsibility:
• retire:
• share:
• summon:
• whiff:

-----------------------

*Wh-Questions:

• Who delivers good news and bad news?

• What tops the "bad news" list?

• How must you respond to a jury summons?

• How do many people feel about jury duty?

• What would many people prefer?

• Who says that the most common question is, Why do I have to serve?

• Who must share the responsibility of jury duty?

• What/Which language must you be able to read and understand to be eligible for jury duty?

• How old must you be to be eligible for jury duty?

• What will happen if you ignore the summons?

---------------------

*Fill in blanks:

The mailman delivers good news and bad news. _____ the “bad news” list for many people who _____ in Los Angeles is a jury summons. This _____ tells you that you must respond by mail_____ phone for possible service on a jury. Many _____ feel that jury duty is a boring chore _____ would prefer not doing it.

In fact, court _____ say that the most common question they hear _____ : Why do I have to serve? The official _____ is: Jury duty is a responsibility that all _____ citizens must share.

If you are a citizen, _____ you can read and understand English, if you’re _____ 18 years old, and if you’re not a_____ , you are eligible for jury duty. If you _____ the summons, you might be fined up to _____ ,500.

A jury trial might last one day or _____ month. If you work for the government, this _____ no problem, because the government will pay you _____ regular salary while you are on jury duty. _____ , if you are self-employed, you lose your regular _____ for that time period. Instead of your regular_____ , you get $15 a DAY for sitting on _____ jury. This is another reason people try to _____ jury duty.

Jack got the bad news yesterday. _____ though he was retired and sat around all _____ watching reruns of old movies, he told his _____ Polly he wasn’t going to be a juror. _____ hated jury duty and he was not going_____ let the courts interfere with his retirement.

“So _____ do you think you are going to get _____ of it?” Polly asked, both amused and irritated. “_____ you going to claim that you’re dead? Or_____ you going to tell them you’ve moved out _____ the country?”

“No, both of those involve too _____ paperwork. I’ve got a better idea. It’s a _____ excuse. It says here that if you have _____ physical disability, you can be dismissed.”

“What’s your _____ ? Your 'bad back' doesn't allow you to sit _____ a chair watching reruns all day?”

“No. Something _____ than that. I’ve got gas. It’ll offend the _____ jurors and everyone else in the courtroom. They’ll _____ to open all the windows or issue gas _____ .”

“But there’s one problem. You don’t have gas.”

“_____ I know how to create it. I’ll eat _____ lot of peanuts and fruit the morning that _____ go to court. As soon as they get _____ whiff of my ‘problem,’ they’ll tell me to _____ home and stay home.”

“That’s a brilliant idea!” _____ said, as she rolled her eyes. At least _____ would get him out of the house for_____ day, she thought.

---------------------

*Translate into Vietnamese:

442192 top -

*Vocabulary:

• amuse: tiêu khiển, giải khuây
• avoid: tránh
• boring: chán
• brilliant: sáng chói
• chore: việc lặt vặt
• claim: tuyên bố
• clerk: thu ngân
• disability: người tàn tật
• duty: trách nhiệm, bổn phận
• eligible: đủ tư cách
• felon: người gây tội ác
• fine: tiền phạt
• ignore: lờ đi
• interfere: ảnh hưởng
• irritate: dị ứng, không thích
• issue: vấn đề
• juror: hội thẩm, bồi thẩm
• jury: ban hội thẩm
• mask: mặt nạ
• offend: phạm lỗi/ làm (ai) bực dọc
• physical: cơ thể, vật chất, khoa học tự nhiên, vật lý
• prefer: thích hơn
• qualify: đủ tiêu chuẩn
• regular: thường xuyên
• respond: trả lời
• responsibility: trách nhiệm
• retire: về hưu
• share: chia sẻ
• summon: gọi hầu toà
• whiff: luồng không khí, dấu vết của một vụ bê bối

==========================================================

*Wh-Questions:

• Who delivers good news and bad news? the mailman

• What tops the "bad news" list? jury summons

• How must you respond to a jury summons? by mail or phone

• How do many people feel about jury duty? boring chore

• What would many people prefer? not doing jury duty

• Who says that the most common question is, Why do I have to serve? court clerks

• Who must share the responsibility of jury duty? qualified citizens

• What/Which language must you be able to read and understand to be eligible for jury duty? English

• How old must you be to be eligible for jury duty? 18

• What will happen if you ignore the summons? you might be fined up to $1,500

===========================================================

*Fill in blanks:

The mailman delivers good news and bad news. __Topping___ the “bad news” list for many people who __live___ in Los Angeles is a jury summons. This __document___ tells you that you must respond by mail___or__ phone for possible service on a jury. Many __people___ feel that jury duty is a boring chore __and___ would prefer not doing it.

In fact, court ___clerks__ say that the most common question they hear __is___ : Why do I have to serve? The official ____respond___ is: Jury duty is a responsibility that all ______qualified__ citizens must share.

If you are a citizen, __if___ you can read and understand English, if you’re __over___ 18 years old, and if you’re not a____felon___ , you are eligible for jury duty. If you ____ignore___ the summons, you might be fined up to ____$1_ ,500.

A jury trial might last one day or ___one__ month. If you work for the government, this __is___ no problem, because the government will pay you __your___ regular salary while you are on jury duty. ____However___ , if you are self-employed, you lose your regular ______income__ for that time period. Instead of your regular______income__ , you get $15 a DAY for sitting on __a___ jury. This is another reason people try to ______avoid__ jury duty.

Jack got the bad news yesterday. __Even___ though he was retired and sat around all __day___ watching reruns of old movies, he told his _wife____ Polly he wasn’t going to be a juror. ___He__ hated jury duty and he was not going__to___ let the courts interfere with his retirement.

“So __how___ do you think you are going to get __out___ of it?” Polly asked, both amused and irritated. “__Are___ you going to claim that you’re dead? Or___are__ you going to tell them you’ve moved out __of___ the country?”

“No, both of those involve too __much___ paperwork. I’ve got a better idea. It’s a ______medical__ excuse. It says here that if you have __a___ physical disability, you can be dismissed.”

“What’s your ____disability___ ? Your 'bad back' doesn't allow you to sit __in___ a chair watching reruns all day?”

“No. Something ______better__ than that. I’ve got gas. It’ll offend the ____other___ jurors and everyone else in the courtroom. They’ll __have___ to open all the windows or issue gas __mask___ .”

“__But___ I know how to create it. I’ll eat __a___ lot of peanuts and fruit the morning that __I___ go to court. As soon as they get __a___ whiff of my ‘problem,’ they’ll tell me to __go___ home and stay home.”

“That’s a brilliant idea!” ______Polly__ said, as she rolled her eyes. At least __it___ would get him out of the house for__one___ day, she thought.

==========================================================

Làm sao trốn nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn

Người phát thư chuyển tin tốt và tin xấu. Đầu bảng "tin xấu" với nhiều người sống ở Los Angeles là gọi làm ban hội thẩm. Thư này yêu cầu bạn bắt buộc trả lời bằng thư hay điện thoại để làm bồi thẩm. Nhiều người thấy nghĩa vụ làm bồi thẩm là một việc cỏn con nhàm chán và thích không phải làm.

Thật sự, những nhân viên toà án nói rằng câu hỏi thường nghe là: Tại sao tôi phải phục vụ? Câu trả lời chính thức là: Nghĩa vụ làm bồi thẩm là trách nhiệm của tất cả các công dân đủ tiêu chuẩn phải chia sẻ.

Nếu bạn là công dân, nếu bạn biết đọc và hiểu tiếng Anh, nếu bạn trên 18 tuổi, và nếu bạn không phải là người gây tội ác, bạn đủ tư cách để làm bồi thẩm. Nếu bạn lờ đi lời gọi của toà, bạn có thể bị phạt đến $1,500.

Làm bồi thẩm có thể một ngày hay cả một tháng. Nếu bạn làm việc cho chính phủ, điều này không vấn đề, vì chính phủ sẽ trả tiền lương đều đặn cho bạn khi bạn đang làm bồi thẩm. Tuy nhiên, nếu bạn tự kinh doanh, bạn mất thu nhập bình thường trong thời gian đó. Thay vì thu nhập thông thường, bạn được $15 một NGÀY ngồi ở bồi thẩm. Đây là một lý do khác mà người ta cố gắng tránh làm bồi thẩm.

Jack nhận được tin xấu hôm qua. Dù ông đã nghỉ hưu và ngồi cả ngày xem đi xem lại những phim cũ, ông bảo vợ ông, Polly là ông sẽ không làm bồi thẩm. Ông ghét nghĩa vụ làm bồi thẩm và ông sẽ không cho toà ảnh hưởng đến việc nghỉ hưu của ông.

"Rồi làm sao ông trốn được?" Polly hỏi, vừa đùa vừa chọc. "Ông định tuyên bố là ông đã chết? Hay ông bảo họ là ông rời nước?"

"Không, cả hai đều tốn nhiều giấy tờ. Tôi có một ý tốt hơn. Đó là một lý do y tế. Nó nói rằng nếu bạn có vấn đề tàn tật cơ thể, bạn có thể được miễn trừ."

"Ông tàn tật cái gì? Cái "lưng đau" của ông không cho phép ông ngồi trên ghế xem phim tới lui cả ngày?"

"Không. Một cái gì đó tốt hơn thế. Tôi có mùi. Nó sẽ ảnh hưởng đến những vị bồi thẩm khác và tất cả những người khác trong toà. Họ sẽ phải mở tất cả cửa sổ hay là phát mặt nạ chống khí."

"Nhưng có một vấn đề. Ông không có khí đó."

"Nhưng tôi biết cách tạo nó. Tôi sẽ ăn thật nhiều đậu phộng và trái cây vào sáng mà tôi đi toà. Khi họ thấy luồng khí độc của "vấn đề" của tôi, họ sẽ bảo tôi về nhà và ở nhà."

"Quả là một sáng kiến hay! " Polly nói, trợn tròn mắt. Ít ra sẽ làm ông ấy rời khỏi nhà một ngày, bà nghĩ.

442651 top -

@lanhuongbm,

Khi dịch sang tiếng Việt, nếu không có năng khiếu văn như tôi thì cũng chỉ cần dịch đúng ý câu chứ không cần quá trau chuốt, bóng bẩy. Nhưng chúng ta cần cố gắng dịch cho đúng văn phong tiếng Việt. Chúc bạn đạt tiến bộ từng ngày.

- Gas: Có lẽ cứ dịch thẳng ra là hơi thối đi bạn ạ.

p/s: Cách đây vài tháng, toà án ở County có gửi thư mời bà xã ndh làm thành viên bồi thẩm đoàn của county nên ndh có biết một chút về vụ này. :)

442814 top -

Dạ, cảm ơn anh nguoidochanh.

Những bài học này cũng sát thực tế, giúp người học chút ít kiến thức trước khi đến Mỹ. Cảm ơn Chitam đã chuẩn bị bài học.

442817 top -
LESSON 265:

HOW TO GET OUT OF JURY DUTY -
LÀM THẾ NÀO ĐỂ THOÁT KHỎI NHIỆM VỤ BỒI THẨM ĐOÀN.

*Vocabulary:

------------------------------------------------------------------
• amuse: làm cho ai cười, làm cho ai thích thú.
• avoid: tránh, tránh xa, ngăn ngừa.
• boring: nhạt nhẽo, tẻ nhạt.
• brilliant: nổi bật, thông minh, xuất sắc.
• chore: việc vặt, việc mọn, việc chán phèo.
• claim: tuyên bố, khẳng định.
• clerk: thư ký.
• disability: sự ốm yếu, tàn tật.
• duty: bổn phận, nhiệm vụ, trách nhiệm.
• eligible: đủ tư cách/điều kiện, thích hợp.
• felon: người phạm trọng tội.
• fine: nộp phạt.
• ignore: không để ý, lờ đi.
• interfere: cản trở, can thiệp, xía vào.
• irritate: phát cáu, chọc tức.
• issue: đưa ra.
• juror: bồi thẩm viên.
• jury: bồi thẩm đoàn.
• mask: mặt nạ.
• offend: làm cho ai bực mình, khó chịu.
• physical: thuộc về thân thể.
• prefer: thích cái gì hơn cái gì.
• qualify: đủ tiêu chuẩn, điểu kiện, phù hợp.
• regular: bình thường, thông thường.
• respond: phúc đáp, trả lời, phản ứng.
• responsibility: trách nhiệm, nhiệm vụ.
• retire: hưu trí.
• share: đóng góp, chia sẻ.
• summon: gọi đến, mời đến, triệu đến.
• whiff: mùi hôi.

*Wh-Questions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
• Who delivers good news and bad news?
- The mailman delivers good news and bad news.

• What tops the "bad news" list?
-It's a jury summons.

• How must you respond to a jury summons?
-I must respond to a jury summons by mail or phone.

• How do many people feel about jury duty?
- They feel that jury duty is a boring chore.

• What would many people prefer?
- They prefer not doing it.

• Who says that the most common question is, Why do I have to serve?
- The court chllerk say that.

• Who must share the responsibility of jury duty?
- The qualified citizens must share the responsibility of jury duty.

• What/Which language must you be able to read and understand to be eligible for jury duty?
- English is the language you must be able to read and understand to be eligible for jury duty.

• How old must you be to be eligible for jury duty?
- Over 18 years old.

• What will happen if you ignore the summons?
- I might be fined up to $1,500 if I ignore the summons.

*Fill in blanks:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The mailman delivers good news and bad news. Topping the “bad news” list for many people who lived in Los Angeles is a jury summons. This document tells you that you must respond by mail or phone for possible service on a jury. Many people feel that jury duty is a boring chore and would prefer not doing it.

In fact, court clerk say that the most common question they hear is: Why do I have to serve? The official respond is: Jury duty is a responsibility that all qualified citizens must share.

If you are a citizen, if you can read and understand English, if you’re over 18 years old, and if you’re not a felon, you are eligible for jury duty. If you ingore the summons, you might be fined up to 1,500.

A jury trial might last one day or one month. If you work for the government, this is no problem, because the government will pay you your regular salary while you are on jury duty. However, if you are self-employed, you lose your regular income for that time period. Instead of your regular income, you get $15 a DAY for sitting on a jury. This is another reason people try to avoid jury duty.

Jack got the bad news yesterday. Even though he was retired and sat around all day watching reruns of old movies, he told his wife Polly he wasn’t going to be a juror. He hated jury duty and he was not going to let the courts interfere with his retirement.

“So how do you think you are going to get out of it?” Polly asked, both amused and irritated. “Are you going to claim that you’re dead? Or are you going to tell them you’ve moved out the the country?”

“No, both of those involve too much paperwork. I’ve got a better idea. It’s a medical excuse. It says here that if you have a physical disability, you can be dismissed.”

“What’s your disability? Your 'bad back' doesn't allow you to sit in a chair watching reruns all day?”

“No. Something better than that. I’ve got gas. It’ll offend the others jurors and everyone else in the courtroom. They’ll have to open all the windows or issue gas mask .”

But I know how to create it. I’ll eat a lot of peanuts and fruit the morning that I go to court. As soon as they get a whiff of my ‘problem,’ they’ll tell me to go home and stay home.”

“That’s a brilliant idea!” Polly said, as she rolled her eyes. At least it would get him out of the house for a day, she thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Người đưa thư mang đến tin tốt và tin xấu. Đứng đầu danh sách "tin xấu" cho nhiều người sinh sống ở Los Angeles là lệnh triệu tập bồi thẩm đoàn. Văn bản này yêu cầu bạn phải hồi đáp bằng thư hoặc điện thoại cho việc có thể thực hiện nhiệm vụ trong bồi thẩm đoàn. Nhiều người cảm thấy nhiệm vụ làm bồi thẩm đoàn là một công việc vặt vãnh và tẻ nhạt và không thích làm công việc đó.

Thực tế, các thư ký toà án cho biết câu hỏi phổ biến nhất mà họ được nghe là: Tại sao tôi phải phục vụ? Câu trả lời chính thức là: Nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn là trách nhiệm mà tất cả các công dân hội đủ điều kiện phải tham gia.

Nếu bạn là một công dân, nếu bạn có thể đọc và hiểu tiếng Anh, nếu bạn trên 18 tuổi, và nếu bạn không phạm trọng tội, bạn đủ tư cách thực hiện nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn. Nếu bạn phớt lờ giấy triệu tập, bạn có thể nộp phạt lên tới 1.500 đô-la.

Một phiên toà có bồi thẩm đoàn kéo dài một ngày hoặc một tháng. Nếu bạn làm việc cho chính phủ, đây không phải là vấn đề vì chính phủ sẽ trả mức lương bình thường trong lúc bạn làm nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn. Tuy nhiên, nếu bạn kinh doanh riêng, bạn mất khoảng thu nhập thường xuyên cho khoảng thời gian đó. Thay vì có khoảng thu nhập bình thường của bạn, bạn nhận 15 đô-la một NGÀY cho việc ngồi trong một bồi thẩm đoàn. Đây là một lý do khác nữa mà người dân cố gắng né tránh nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn.

Jack nhận tin xấu vào ngày hôm qua. Cho dù ông đã nghỉ hưu và ngồi quanh quẩn suốt ngày xem các phim xưa được chiếu lại, ông nói với Polly, vợ mình, là ông sẽ không trở thành một bồi thẩm viên. Ông không thích nhiệm vụ bồi thẩm đoàn và ông sẽ không để cho tòa án gây cản trở việc nghỉ hưu của ông.

"Thế ông nghĩ ông sẽ làm cách nào để thoát khỏi chuyện này?" Polly hỏi, vừa buồn cười vừa phát cáu. "Ông sẽ tuyên bố là ông đã chết hay sao? Hay ông sẽ nói với họ là ông đã rời khỏi đất nước rồi?"

"Không đâu, cả hai thứ đó đều dính dáng quá nhiều đến chuyện giấy tờ. Tôi có một ý kiến hay hơn kia. Đó là một lý do về y tế. Điều này nói rằng nếu bà có ốm đau trong người, bà có thể không được tiếp nhận."

"Ông bệnh tật gì thế? "Cái lưng đau" của ông đâu có cấm ông ngồi ghế xem mấy cuốn phim được chiếu đi chiếu lại suốt cả ngày đâu cơ chứ?"

'Không phải. Thứ gì hay hơn thế kia. Tôi sẽ xì hơi thối um. Tôi sẽ làm cho những bồi thẩm viên khác và mọi người trong phòng xử án bực mình. Họ sẽ phải mở tất cả các cửa sổ hoặc phân phát mặt nạ chống hơi độc."

"Nhưng có vấn đề rồi. Ông không bị đầy hơi mà.

"Nhưng tôi biết cách tạo ra nó. Buổi sáng tôi sẽ ăn nhiều đậu phộng và trái cây rồi tôi mới tới toà án. Ngay khi họ nhận được mùi hôi "vấn đề" của tôi, họ sẽ bảo tôi về và ở nhà luôn."

"Đó là một ý kiến sáng suốt!" Polly nói, lúc bà trợn tròn đôi mắt. Ít nhất điều đó sẽ đưa ông ấy ra khỏi nhà một ngày, bà nghĩ.

486882 top -

. 1.New To America
. 2.A Haircut
. 3.The Yardman
. 4.Grab Your Umbrellas
. 5.Shopping for Bargains
. 6.Horses to Ride
. 7.A Shower Injury
. 8.Pete's Sharp Knife
. 9.A Good Sandwich
. 10.Sara's Upset Stomach
. 11.Please Marry Me!
. 12.Laundry Day
. 13.A Noisy Neighbor
. 14.The New Realtor
. 15.The Fire Alarm
. 16.Eddie's Short Visit
. 17.Carbon Monoxide
. 18.A Visit to Asia
. 19.School Boys
. 20.The Loose Button
. 21.The Pile of Paper
. 22.Brushing and Flossing
. 23.Raising the Kids
. 24.A Clean Toilet Bowl
. 25.A Love Letter
. 26.A Bird Attacks
. 27.A Daytime Robbery
. 28.Trick or Treat
. 29.The Motorcycle Rider
. 30.Spock Saves His Dad
. 31.Provider Overbills Customer
. 32.The Breakup
. 33.Famous Model Dies
. 34.Shopping Carts Everywhere
. 35.Four Slit Throats
. 36.Does Garlic Mean Garlic?
. 37.A Jealous Girlfriend
. 38.Towns Hit by Snowstorms
. 39.Another Jealous Girlfriend
. 40.She Loves Her Son
. 41.The Doctor’s Exam
. 42.Hospitals Can Make You Sick
. 43.English Is So Hard
. 44.Hollywood Stars and Tourists
. 45.GEICO’s TV Lizard
. 46.Law and Order in LA
. 47.Destruction of Iraq
. 48.Have You Seen This Man?
. 49.LA Traffic Report
. 50.LA Radio News

. 51.Trash Truck Misses Pick-up
. 52.Her First Driving Accident
. 53.You’re Not a Good Principal
. 54.I’ve Got You Covered
. 55.Paris Goes to Jail in LA
. 56.A Year with No TV
. 57.Let’s Buy Some Paint
. 58.I Need Water for My Clients
. 59.Putting Bunny to Sleep
. 60.Where Is That Darn Battery?
. 61.If You Really Love Me…
. 62.The Wedding Gift (1)
. 63.The Wedding Gift (2)
. 64.Does a Tiger Change Its Stripes?
. 65.No Place Like an Open House
. 66."We Could Have All Died!"
. 67.It’s the Thought that Counts
. 68.Who Ordered the Scallops?
. 69.You’re Not My Daddy
. 70.Let He Who Is Without Sin…
. 71.Shopping at the 99 Cents Store
. 72.Betting Big in Vegas
. 73.Priced to Sell!
. 74.The Handyman Comes
. 75.A Woman Has Needs
. 76.A Hot Day and a Cool Pool
. 77.Up, Up, and Away
. 78.Man's Best Friend
. 79.Six Feet Under
. 80.An Unhappy Worker
. 81.Why the Sky Is Brown
. 82.It’s a Small World
. 83.Suspicious Shoppers
. 84.Death Is Part of Life
. 85.Tagger Shoots Woman
. 86.Crime on the Rise
. 87.Too Soft on Crime
. 88.Pluto Chases Kid
. 89.In Harm’s Way
. 90."Semper Buy"
. 91.A Little Respect, Please
. 92.A Dream from Beyond-1
. 93.A Dream from Beyond-2
. 94.A Trip to Egypt
. 95.No Doughnuts for Old Folks
. 96.It’s Just Business
. 97.A Walk in the Wild
. 98.Elvis Is Alive and Well
. 99.Bad Weed, Bad Call
. 100.Shark Attack

. 101.Love in the Hospital
. 102.Interstate Bridge Collapses
. 103.Stop Selling Those Bunnies
. 104.Actor Tries to Kill Himself
. 105.US Senator Says He’s not Gay
. 106.E.Coli Is Everywhere
. 107.Influenza
. 108.The Hospital Orderly-1
. 109.The Hospital Orderly-2
. 110.Flower Power
. 111.Dog Inherits Millions
. 112.Man Holds Staff Hostage
. 113.Young Boy Defends Sister
. 114.Remember Me?
. 115.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 116.Sail Around the World
. 117.New Dog-Barking Law
. 118.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-1
. 119.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-2
. 120.Cleaning a Dirty Plate
. 121.Her Driving Lesson
. 122.Hurricane Dean
. 123.Adventurer Disappears
. 124.Nursing Student Disappears
. 125.The Lovely Banana
. 126.Smells like Chicken
. 127.The Wedding-1
. 128.The Wedding-2
. 129.The Waiter
. 130.Your Country Thanks You
. 131.D.B.Cooper Lives On-1
. 132.D.B.Cooper Lives On-2
. 133.I’m No Alcoholic!
. 134.48 Homes Burn Down-1
. 135.48 Homes Burn Down-2
. 136.Drought Attacks Georgia
. 137.A Bad MRI Experience
. 138.Body in a Barrel-1
. 139.Body in a Barrel-2
. 140.Red Meat, Gray Water
. 141.All Bite, No Bark
. 142.Tiger Kills Two Men-1
. 143.Tiger Kills Two Men-2
. 144.Red Flowers Make Her See Red
. 145.The Starbucks Robbery
. 146.The Argument-1
. 147.The Argument-2
. 148.The Toilet Tank-1
. 149.The Toilet Tank-2
. 150.Santa Was Molested

. 151.Fire Kills Two Young Girls
. 152.Police Arrest Fire-Starters
. 153.Get out of "Jail"-1
. 154.Get out of "Jail"-2
. 155.New Year Celebrations
. 156.$50K to Waitress-1
. 157.$50K to Waitress-2
. 158.Who Needs School?
. 159.Black Friday
. 160.JFK Assassination
. 161.Don’t Top Off the Tanks
. 162.The Clapper
. 163.Tuberculosis Still Kills
. 164.Old Dogs Become Young Again
. 165.Ham and Eggplant
. 166.A Hole in Her Ear-1
. 167.A Hole in Her Ear-2
. 168.The Drugs Keep Coming
. 169.Missing Husband-1
. 170.Missing Husband-2
. 171.Don’t Get Mad-Get Even
. 172.The Christmas Gift-1
. 173.The Christmas Gift-2
. 174.The Haircut-1
. 175.The Haircut-2
. 176.The Robbery at the Mall-1
. 177.The Robbery at the Mall-2
. 178.The Driving Lesson-1
. 179.The Driving Lesson-2
. 180.The Move to Georgia-1
. 181.The Move to Georgia-2
. 182.I’ll Get a Job in a Restaurant
. 183.A Cleaner River-1
. 184.A Cleaner River-2
. 185.The Spitter
. 186.Kill Those Flies-1
. 187.Kill Those Flies-2
. 188.The Oil Change-1
. 189.The Oil Change-2
. 190.Boy Starts Huge Fire
. 191.Writers Go on Strike
. 192.Please Don’t Hurt Me!
. 193.It’s Just a Little White Lie
. 194.Jury Service in California
. 195.The Rude Golfer-1
. 196.The Rude Golfer-2
. 197.Man Invents Toilet for Cars
. 198.Monkeys Cause Man’s Death
. 199.The Light Eater-1
. 200.The Light Eater-2

. 201.Sara Went Shopping
. 202.Man Injured at Fast Food Place
. 203.A Life-Saving Cow
. 204.Driver Loses Mabel, Finds Jail
. 205.Jerry Decided To Buy a Gun
. 206.Freeway Chase
. 207.Better To Be Unlucky
. 208.Food Fight Erupted in Prison
. 209.How His Pig is Doing
. 210.Goats Being Hired
. 211.A Missing Cat
. 212.Book Him
. 213.Water Under the Sink-1
. 214.Water Under the Sink-2
. 215.Theft Occurs Everywhere
. 216.Eggs and a Bunny
. 217.Goodbye to Clean Couple
. 218.$100 Deposit
. 219.Books Don’t Grow on Trees
. 220.A Murder-Suicide
. 221.New Store and Its Owners
. 222.Hit-and-Run Charge
. 223.Gasoline Prices Hit Record High
. 224.A Festival of Books
. 225.Crazy Housing Prices
. 226.Happy and Unhappy Renters
. 227.Pulling Out Nine Tons of Trash
. 228.Cloning Pets
. 229.Rentals at the Oceanside
. 230.Trees Are a Threat
. 231.Gets Booked, Writes a Book
. 232.Popular Park Reopens
. 233.Swim Classes Begin Soon
. 234.Not Sitting Around
. 235.Get Millions for Homeless
. 236.Tenants Watch Building Burn
. 237.Bathtub Blues
. 238.Blood Drive at Civic Center
. 239.City Hosts 42nd Art Fair
. 240.City and Crime
. 241.Bank Robbery
. 242.Immigration Goes Online
. 243.Jimmy Fixes His Door
. 244.Needs a New Air-Conditioner
. 245.Man Gets 12 Years for Fraud
. 246.Man Shoots Up Post Office
. 247.Murals Are Over 200 Years Old
. 248.Pier Collapses
. 249.Cameras in Police Cars
. 250.A School Girl Sues Her School

. 251.SUV Driver Sends Officer Flying
. 252.Boy Drowns in Neighbor's Pool
. 253.Woman Dies in House Fire
. 254.Plane Crashes into House
. 255.Fishing for Girls
. 256.Shot Next to Christmas Tree
. 257.Stabbed Outside Nightclub
. 258.Fishing Boat Sinks
. 259.The Mysterious Carport Stain
. 260.Lies About Winning Lottery
. 261.Victory Dance Leads to Death
. 262.Eat Your Vegetables
. 263.Honk if You're in a Hurry
. 264.The Man Who Loved Women
. 265.How to Get out of Jury Duty
. 266.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 267.Female Seeks Mature Male
. 268.Let’s Go Fishing
. 269.Train Wreck “Frees” Cows
. 270.Valuable Guitar Found
. 271.Stepmother Kills Herself
. 272.Beautiful Teacher Smiles
. 273.Are Criminals Taking Over LA?
. 274.Police Arrest Happy Van Driver
. 275.Say Your Prayers
. 276.The Final Phone Call
. 277.Almost Perfect Children
. 278.There Goes the Neighborhood!
. 279.Let’s Go to Vegas!
. 280.Squirrel Attacks Woman
. 281.To Save His Baby
. 282.English Is Confusing
. 283.Pump Up the Tires
. 284.Don’t Go Swimming
. 285.The Park That Went to the Dogs
. 286.Can You Spare a Carburetor?
. 287.Golf Like a Girl
. 288.Take Me Out to the Ball Game
. 289.Take This Job and Shove It
. 290.Where Did That Book Go?
. 291.When You’ve Got Your Health
. 292.That ‘New Car’ Smell
. 293.Inviting Poor Student to Dinner
. 294.When I'm in the Bathroom
. 295.It Was an Old, Worthless Clock
. 296.Five-Finger Discount on Candy
. 297.Collecting Seashells
. 298.At the Store Entrance
. 299.We Will See the World
. 300.Get Me a Caffe Latte

. 301.The Slow Computer-1
. 302.The Slow Computer-2
. 303.The Careful Reader
. 304.Avoid the Flu
. 305.Magician Attracts Women
. 306.US Border Patrol
. 307.Car Shopping in California
. 308.Happy Anniversary
. 309.“Read All about It!”
. 310.A Factory Worker
. 311.Bad Pork
. 312.Don’t Eat the Meat
. 313.Copper Robbers
. 314.Weekly Driving Lessons-1
. 315.Weekly Driving Lessons-2
. 316.Laundry Day-1
. 317.Laundry Day-2
. 318.The Bargain CD Set-1
. 319.The Bargain CD Set-2
. 320.It’s All Over
. 321.The New Clothes-1
. 322.The New Clothes-2
. 323.Food as Punishment
. 324.US Passports Outsourced
. 325.The Demanding Son
. 326.A Practical Joke
. 327.The Dead Pedestrian
. 328.Bad News, Good News
. 329.The Cluster Balloonist
. 330.The Rude Clerk
. 331.The Tax Charge
. 332.The Fire in the Hills-1
. 333.The Fire in the Hills-2
. 334.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-1
. 335.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-2
. 336.The Rental Car-1
. 337.The Rental Car-2
. 338.The Marathon Cheater
. 339.School Bus Crashes
. 340.Don’t Take My Property
. 341.New Law for Taco Trucks
. 342.The Refund-1
. 343.The Refund-2
. 344.Shut Your Mouth
. 345.TSA’s New Policy-1
. 346.TSA’s New Policy-2
. 347.I’m Pregnant
. 348.Court Approves Same-Sex Marriage
. 349.Impolite to His Brother
. 350.Protecting the Public
. 351.Malibu to License Paparazzi
. 352.I'm Moving to NY
. 353.The Heart Attack-1
. 354.The Heart Attack-2
. 355.Let's Speak English

THE END

Update: October 16th, 2016.
PayPal về email:
[email protected]

Chi phiếu gửi về:
Jimmy Ton
4369 46 St.
San Diego, CA 92115

Việt Nam chuyển tới:
Phạm Thị Tuyết Phượng
Số tài khoản: 4973099
ACB Châu Văn Liêm, TPHCM

Ý kiến về Quỹ VietDitru

*THÔNG TIN QUAN TRỌNG: Do tình hình dịch COVID-19 diễn biến phức tạp, từ ngày 19/3, Đại Sứ Quán và Lãnh Sự Quán Hoa Kỳ sẽ ngừng phỏng vấn cấp xét thị thực. Toàn bộ lịch hẹn từ ngày 19/3 trở đi sẽ bị huỷ. Xem thông tin chi tiết

ESL đăng ký: Bạn không cần phải đăng ký gì cả. Chỉ việc nhẩy vào bài ESL 1 học và làm bài tập. Tiếp tục những bài kế tiếp càng nhanh càng tốt. Mình sẽ 888 và thỉnh thoảng cùng nhau nhắc nhở cho vui hén. Chứ thật ra việc học là việc của tự bản thân mình. Mình giỏi thì mình được nhờ hén.

Nickname           # bài
-----------------------------------------
Anthonydavetruong 51
BaoLaTinhChua 1
Bluecloud 1
bongbong 3
Brianthao08 2
Brenda 8
Cachua 4
Catandpuppy 2
Chaubaoct 11
Chauongco 2