ESL 76: A Hot Day and a Cool Pool

ESL 76: A Hot Day and a Cool Pool

Download

It was their first vacation together in years. Meg and Oscar had been running their own jewelry business for years. They made a nice income, but they were busy all the time. They went to one trade show after another, flying throughout the US and often to China and other countries. Their last vacation was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar's doctor said that Oscar's high blood pressure was going to be the death of him. After questioning Oscar about his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that Oscar was stressing himself out at work. He told Oscar that he needed to stop and smell the roses more often.

"In short," he said, "I'm writing you a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and relaxation, immediately. In fact, I want you to take off four weeks a year, and these must be nonworking vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you understand me? In case you don't, I'm telling Meg, too. You might not listen to me, but you will listen to her."

Meg canceled all their activities for the two weeks at the end of July. Fortunately, they did not have any flights scheduled. She booked them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. "We'll catch up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns," she told Oscar. "We won't even TALK about work for two weeks, okay? We'll relax in the pool, get massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am," Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

The hotel had failed to tell them that it was undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at half price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, about 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to take a swim. She told him not to forget his sun block. She went back to sleep. When she woke up at noon, she put on her swim suit and went outside.

She couldn't stop screaming when she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His foot had gotten caught in a suction vent that workers had not covered properly. He had been under water for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, back home, Meg was going through her mail. The hotel, apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her an offer to stay there free for a month. The congenial letter suggested that she "Bring a friend!"

285838 top -

*Vocabulary:

• apparently:
• beneath:
• block:
• cancel:
• congenial:
• flight:
• funeral:
• habit:
• jewelry:
• laptop:
• lawsuit:
• ma'am:
• massage:
• prescription:
• pressure:
• relaxation:
• royalty:
• salute:
• scream:
• stress:
• submerge:
• suction:
• trade:
• treat:
• vacation:
• vent:

===================

*Yes/No Questions:

•Was it their first vacation together in years?

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years?

•Did they make a nice income?

•Did they have a lot of free time?

•Did they go to lots of trade shows?

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.?

•Did they fly to China and other countries?

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago?

•Was his high blood pressure good for him?

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him?

======================

*Fill in the blanks:

It was their first vacation together in years. _____ and Oscar had been running their own jewelry _____ for years. They made a nice income, but _____ were busy all the time. They went to _____ trade show after another, flying throughout the US _____ often to China and other countries. Their last _____ was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s _____ said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going _____ be the death of him. After questioning Oscar _____ his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that _____ was stressing himself out at work. He told _____ that he needed to stop and smell the _____ more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing _____ a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and _____ , immediately. In fact, I want you to take _____ four weeks a year, and these must be _____ vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you me? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, _____ . You might not listen to me, but you _____ listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities _____ the two weeks at the end of July. _____ , they did not have any flights scheduled. She _____ them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll _____ up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” _____ told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work _____ two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, _____ massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

“_____ , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

_____ hotel had failed to tell them that it _____ undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at _____ price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, _____ 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to _____ a swim. She told him not to forget _____ sun block. She went back to sleep. When _____ woke up at noon, she put on her _____ suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming _____ she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His _____ had gotten caught in a suction vent that _____ had not covered properly. He had been under _____ for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, _____ home, Meg was going through her mail. The _____ , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her _____ offer to stay there free for a month. _____ congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”

====================

*Translate into Vietnamese:

………….

285840 top -
tuananh xin nộp bài

*Vocabulary:

• apparently(adv): hình như
• beneath(adv): ở dưới
• block(n): sự phòng ngừa, ngăn chặn
• cancel(v): hủy
• congenial(a): đi kèm, ăn ý
• flight(n): chuyến bay
• funeral(n): tang lễ
• habit(n): thói quen
• jewelry(n): đồ trang sứ
• laptop(n): máy vi tính xách tay
• lawsuit(n): việc kiện tụng
• ma'am(n): quý bà
• massage(n): sự xoa bóp
• prescription(n): đơn thuốc
• pressure(n): sức ép, áp lực
• relaxation(n): sự thư giãn
• royalty(n): hoàng tộc
• salute(n): chào đón, chào mừng
• scream(v): hét lên
• stress(n): sự căng thẳng
• submerge(v): chìm, nhận chìm
• suction(n): sự hút
• trade(n): việc mua bán
• treat(v): đối xử
• vacation(n): kì nghỉ
• vent(n): lối thoát

===================

*Yes/No Questions:

•Was it their first vacation together in years?yes

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years?no

•Did they make a nice income?yes

•Did they have a lot of free time?no

•Did they go to lots of trade shows?yes

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.?no

•Did they fly to China and other countries?yes

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago?no

•Was his high blood pressure good for him?no

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him?yes

======================

*Fill in the blanks:

It was their first vacation together in years. __Meg___ and Oscar had been running their own jewelry ____business___ for years. They made a nice income, but __they___ were busy all the time. They went to __one___ trade show after another, flying throughout the US ___and__ often to China and other countries. Their last ____vacation___ was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s __doctor____ said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going __to___ be the death of him. After questioning Oscar __by___ his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that ____Oscar___ was stressing himself out at work. He told ____Oscar___ that he needed to stop and smell the _roses____ more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing _you____ a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and __relaxation____ , immediately. In fact, I want you to take __off___ four weeks a year, and these must be __nonworking____ vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you me? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, __too___ . You might not listen to me, but you __will___ listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities ___for__ the two weeks at the end of July. __Fortunately____ , they did not have any flights scheduled. She ____booked___ them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll ______catch__ up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” __She___ told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work __for___ two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, ___get__ massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

“___Yes__ , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

___The__ hotel had failed to tell them that it __'s___ undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at ______half__ price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, ____about___ 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to __take___ a swim. She told him not to forget ___his__ sun block. She went back to sleep. When __she___ woke up at noon, she put on her _swim____ suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming __when___ she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His __foot___ had gotten caught in a suction vent that ____worker___ had not covered properly. He had been under ____water___ for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, _back____ home, Meg was going through her mail. The ____hotel___ , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her ___an__ offer to stay there free for a month. __The___ congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”

====================

Một ngày nóng và một cái hồ lạnh

Đó là kì nghỉ đầu tiên của họ sau nhiều năm trở lại đây. Meg và Oscar đang điều hành việc mua bán đồ trang sức nhiều năm rồi. Họ có một mức thu nhập cao, nhưng họ luôn bận rộn suốt ngày. Họ thực hiện cuộc mua bán này rồi tới cuộc mua bán khác, ban xuyên Hoa Kì và thường xuyên qua Trung Quốc và các nước khác. Kì nghỉ cuối cùng của họ đã diễn ra cách đây ít nhất 10 năm. Gần đây, bác sĩ của Oscar đã nói với rằng chứng cao huyết áp của anh ta có thể sẽ dẫn tới tử vong. Sau khi hỏi Oscar về chế độ ăn uống và tập thể dục, ông ta kết luận là Oscar đang bị mang căng thẳng từ công việc. Anh ta nói với Oscar là anh ta cần nghỉ ngơi và ngửi hoa hồng nhiều hơn.

"Mau thôi," ông ta nói, "Tôi sẽ viết cho anh một đơn thuốc cho hai tuần của R&R là thư giãn và thoải mái, ngay tức thì. Thật ra là tôi muốn anh nghỉ ngơi bốn tuần một năm, và đây là những kì nghỉ không công việc. Không điện thoại, không máy tính. Anh có hiểu ý tôi không? Trong trường hợp anh không làm, tôi sẽ nói cho Meg nữa. Anh có thể không nghe tôi, nhưng anh sẽ phải nghe cô ấy."

Meg hủy bỏ tất cả hoạt động của họ cho hai tuần cuối tháng bảy. May mắn thay, họ không có bất kì lịch bay nào. Cô đặt chỗ cho họ tại một khách sạn đẹp gần Palm Springs. "Chúng ta sẽ mang theo tạp chí, báo, và băng ghi hình các chương trình TV," cô ấy nói với Oscar. "Chúng ta sẽ không nói về công việc trong hai tuần, được không? Chúng ta sẽ nghỉ ngơi trong hồ, nằm xoa bóp, và cư xử như những người hoàng tộc. Hiểu ý em không?"

"Vâng, thưa quý bà," Oscar nói, mỉm cười khi anh ta cúi chào.

289256 top -
Khách sạn đã quên báo cho họ biết là khách sạn vẫn đang trong quá trình làm mới. Nhưng khi được giảm nửa giá, Meg và Oscar vẫn ở lại. Buổi sáng ngày thứ hai, khoảng 10 giờ, Oscar nói với Meg là anh sẽ đi tắm. Cô ấy bảo anh đừng quên kem chống nắng. Cô quay lại ngủ tiếp. Khi cô tỉnh dậy, cô mặc đồ bơi và đi ra ngoài.

Cô không thể ngừng hét khi cô thấy Oscar chìm dưới nước. Chân của anh ta bị mắc kẹt trong một ống thoát nước mà những người thợ không đậy lại đàng hoàng. Anh ta đã ở dưới nước chùng 10 phút.

Một tháng sau tang lễ, trở về nhà, Meg kiểm tra thư từ. Cái khách sạn, hình như lo lắng về việc kiện tụng, đã gửi cho cô một lời mời về việc nghỉ ngơi miễn phí một tháng. Bức thư đi kèm còn đề nghị cô "Hãy mang theo một người bạn!"

289288 top -
Nộp bài ESL 76: A Hot Day and a Cool Pool
*Vocabulary:

• apparently: Hình như
• beneath: Ở dưới
• block: Sự phòng ngừa
• cancel: Hủy
• congenial: Đi kèm
• flight: Chuyến bay
• funeral: Tang lễ
• habit: Thói quen
• jewelry: Đồ trang sứ
• laptop: Máy vi tính xách tay
• lawsuit: Việc kiện tụng
• ma'am: Quý bà
• massage: Sự xoa bóp
• prescription: Đơn thuốc
• pressure: Sức ép
• relaxation: Sự thư giãn
• royalty: Hoàng tộc
• salute: Chào mừng
• scream: Hét lên
• stress: Sự căng thẳng
• submerge: Chìm
• suction: Sự hút
• trade: Việc mua bán
• treat: Đối xử
• vacation: Kì nghỉ
• vent: Lối thoát

===================

*Yes/No Questions:

•Was it their first vacation together in years? Yes

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years? No

•Did they make a nice income? Yes

•Did they have a lot of free time? No

•Did they go to lots of trade shows? Yes

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.? No

•Did they fly to China and other countries? Yes

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago? No

•Was his high blood pressure good for him? No

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him? Yes

======================

*Fill in the blanks:

It was their first vacation together in years. _Meg_ and Oscar had been running their own jewelry _business_ for years. They made a nice income, but _they_ were busy all the time. They went to _one_ trade show after another, flying throughout the US _and_ often to China and other countries. Their last _vacation_ was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s _doctor_ said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going _to_ be the death of him. After questioning Oscar _by_ his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that _Oscar_ was stressing himself out at work. He told _Oscar_ that he needed to stop and smell the _roses_ more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing _you_ a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and _relaxation_ , immediately. In fact, I want you to take _off_ four weeks a year, and these must be _nonworking_ vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you me? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, _too_ . You might not listen to me, but you _will_ listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities _for_ the two weeks at the end of July. _Fortunately_ , they did not have any flights scheduled. She _booked_ them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll _catch_ up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” _She_ told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work __for___ two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, _get_ massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

“_Yes_ , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

_The_ hotel had failed to tell them that it _'s_ undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at _half_ price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, _about_ 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to _take_ a swim. She told him not to forget _his_ sun block. She went back to sleep. When _she_ woke up at noon, she put on her _swim_ suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming _when_ she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His _foot_ had gotten caught in a suction vent that _worker_ had not covered properly. He had been under _water_ for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, _back_ home, Meg was going through her mail. The _hotel_ , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her _an_ offer to stay there free for a month. _The_ congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”
. She told Anita to _make_ sure to remind Heather to call.

289805 top -

Done

290427 top -
*Vocabulary:

• apparently (adv) 1 cách rành rành
• beneath: bên dưới
• block: vật cản trở
• cancel (v) hủy
• congenial (adj) ăn ý, tương đồng
• flight: chuyến bay
• funeral (n,v) lễ tang, việc chôn cất
• habit: thói quen
• jewelry: trang sức
• laptop: laptop
• lawsuit: việc tố tụng
• ma'am: thưa bà
• massage:sự xoa bóp
• prescription: việc kê đơn
• pressure (n) sức ép, sự luẩn quẩn, bức bách
• relaxation: việc giai trí
• royalty (n) hoàng gia
• salute (n,v) chào, lời chào
• scream (v) la lên
• stress (adj) căng thẳng
• submerge (v) nhận chìm
• suction:sự mút, hút
• trade (n) nghề nghiệp, thương mại
• treat (n,v) thếch đãi, đối xử
• vacation: kỳ nghỉ
• vent (n,v) lỗ thông, thông, trút

===================

*Yes/No Questions:

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years?no, their jewelry business

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.?no, they flew

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago?no, ten years

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him?yes, of course

======================

*Fill in the blanks:

It was their first vacation together in years. __Meg___ and Oscar had been running their own jewelry __business___ for years. They made a nice income, but _they____ were busy all the time. They went to ___one__ trade show after another, flying throughout the US __and___ often to China and other countries. Their last ______vacation__ was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s ____docter___ said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going __to___ be the death of him. After questioning Oscar ____about___ his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that ____Oscar___ was stressing himself out at work. He told ____Oscar___ that he needed to stop and smell the __roses___ more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing ___you__ a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and __relaxation___ , immediately. In fact, I want you to take __off___ four weeks a year, and these must be ______nonworking__ vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you me? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, __too___ . You might not listen to me, but you ______will__ listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities __for___ the two weeks at the end of July. ____Fortunately___ , they did not have any flights scheduled. She ____booked___ them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll __catch___ up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” ___she__ told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work __for___ two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, __get___ massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

“___yes__ , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

__The___ hotel had failed to tell them that it ______was__ undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at ___half__ price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, ______about__ 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to __take___ a swim. She told him not to forget ___his__ sun block. She went back to sleep. When __she___ woke up at noon, she put on her __swim___ suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming __when___ she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His ______foot__ had gotten caught in a suction vent that ____workers___ had not covered properly. He had been under ______water__ for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, __back___ home, Meg was going through her mail. The ____hotel___ , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her __an___ offer to stay there free for a month. __The___ congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”

344091 top -

Done

349377 top -

*Vocabulary:

• apparently(adv): hình như
• beneath(adv): ở dưới
• block(n): sự phòng ngừa, ngăn chặn
• cancel(v): hủy
• congenial(a): đi kèm, ăn ý
• flight(n): chuyến bay
• funeral(n): tang lễ
• habit(n): thói quen
• jewelry(n): đồ trang sứ
• laptop(n): máy vi tính xách tay
• lawsuit(n): việc kiện tụng
• ma'am(n): quý bà
• massage(n): sự xoa bóp
• prescription(n): đơn thuốc
• pressure(n): sức ép, áp lực
• relaxation(n): sự thư giãn
• royalty(n): hoàng tộc
• salute(n): chào đón, chào mừng
• scream(v): hét lên
• stress(n): sự căng thẳng
• submerge(v): chìm, nhận chìm
• suction(n): sự hút
• trade(n): việc mua bán
• treat(v): đối xử
• vacation(n): kì nghỉ
• vent(n): lối thoát

===================

*Yes/No Questions:

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years?no

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.?no

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago?no

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him?yes

======================

*Fill in the blanks:

It was their first vacation together in years. __Meg___ and Oscar had been running their own jewelry ____business___ for years. They made a nice income, but __they___ were busy all the time. They went to __one___ trade show after another, flying throughout the US ___and__ often to China and other countries. Their last ____vacation___ was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s __doctor____ said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going __to___ be the death of him. After questioning Oscar __by___ his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that ____Oscar___ was stressing himself out at work. He told ____Oscar___ that he needed to stop and smell the _roses____ more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing _you____ a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and __relaxation____ , immediately. In fact, I want you to take __off___ four weeks a year, and these must be __nonworking____ vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you me? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, __too___ . You might not listen to me, but you __will___ listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities ___for__ the two weeks at the end of July. __Fortunately____ , they did not have any flights scheduled. She ____booked___ them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll ______catch__ up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” __She___ told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work __for___ two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, ___get__ massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

“___Yes__ , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

___The__ hotel had failed to tell them that it __'s___ undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at ______half__ price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, ____about___ 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to __take___ a swim. She told him not to forget ___his__ sun block. She went back to sleep. When __she___ woke up at noon, she put on her _swim____ suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming __when___ she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His __foot___ had gotten caught in a suction vent that ____worker___ had not covered properly. He had been under ____water___ for ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, _back____ home, Meg was going through her mail. The ____hotel___ , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her ___an__ offer to stay there free for a month. __The___ congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”

====================

Một ngày nóng và một cái hồ lạnh

Đó là kì nghỉ đầu tiên của họ sau nhiều năm trở lại đây. Meg và Oscar đang điều hành việc mua bán đồ trang sức nhiều năm rồi. Họ có một mức thu nhập cao, nhưng họ luôn bận rộn suốt ngày. Họ thực hiện cuộc mua bán này rồi tới cuộc mua bán khác, ban xuyên Hoa Kì và thường xuyên qua Trung Quốc và các nước khác. Kì nghỉ cuối cùng của họ đã diễn ra cách đây ít nhất 10 năm. Gần đây, bác sĩ của Oscar đã nói với rằng chứng cao huyết áp của anh ta có thể sẽ dẫn tới tử vong. Sau khi hỏi Oscar về chế độ ăn uống và tập thể dục, ông ta kết luận là Oscar đang bị mang căng thẳng từ công việc. Anh ta nói với Oscar là anh ta cần nghỉ ngơi và ngửi hoa hồng nhiều hơn.

"Mau thôi," ông ta nói, "Tôi sẽ viết cho anh một đơn thuốc cho hai tuần của R&R là thư giãn và thoải mái, ngay tức thì. Thật ra là tôi muốn anh nghỉ ngơi bốn tuần một năm, và đây là những kì nghỉ không công việc. Không điện thoại, không máy tính. Anh có hiểu ý tôi không? Trong trường hợp anh không làm, tôi sẽ nói cho Meg nữa. Anh có thể không nghe tôi, nhưng anh sẽ phải nghe cô ấy."

Meg hủy bỏ tất cả hoạt động của họ cho hai tuần cuối tháng bảy. May mắn thay, họ không có bất kì lịch bay nào. Cô đặt chỗ cho họ tại một khách sạn đẹp gần Palm Springs. "Chúng ta sẽ mang theo tạp chí, báo, và băng ghi hình các chương trình TV," cô ấy nói với Oscar. "Chúng ta sẽ không nói về công việc trong hai tuần, được không? Chúng ta sẽ nghỉ ngơi trong hồ, nằm xoa bóp, và cư xử như những người hoàng tộc. Hiểu ý em không?"

"Vâng, thưa quý bà," Oscar nói, mỉm cười khi anh ta cúi chào.

Khách sạn đã quên báo cho họ biết là khách sạn vẫn đang trong quá trình làm mới. Nhưng khi được giảm nửa giá, Meg và Oscar vẫn ở lại. Buổi sáng ngày thứ hai, khoảng 10 giờ, Oscar nói với Meg là anh sẽ đi tắm. Cô ấy bảo anh đừng quên kem chống nắng. Cô quay lại ngủ tiếp. Khi cô tỉnh dậy, cô mặc đồ bơi và đi ra ngoài.

Cô không thể ngừng hét khi cô thấy Oscar chìm dưới nước. Chân của anh ta bị mắc kẹt trong một ống thoát nước mà những người thợ không đậy lại đàng hoàng. Anh ta đã ở dưới nước chùng 10 phút.

Một tháng sau tang lễ, trở về nhà, Meg kiểm tra thư từ. Cái khách sạn, hình như lo lắng về việc kiện tụng, đã gửi cho cô một lời mời về việc nghỉ ngơi miễn phí một tháng. Bức thư đi kèm còn đề nghị cô "Hãy mang theo một người bạn!"

419338 top -
LESSON 76:

A HOT DAY AND A COOL POOL -
MỘT NGÀY NÓNG BỨC VÀ MỘT CÁI HỒ MÁT LẠNH

===========================================================

*Vocabulary:

------------------------------------------------------------------
• apparently: hình như.
• beneath: ở dưới.
• block: vật chướng ngại, vật cản.
• cancel: sự xoá bỏ, sự huỷ bỏ.
• congenial: thân mật, thân thiện, dễ chịu, thoải mái.
• flight: chuyến bay.
• funeral: tang lễ.
• habit: thói quen.
• jewelry: đầ châu báu, đồ nữ trang, đồ trang sức.
• laptop: máy vi tính xách tay.
• lawsuit: vụ kiện.
• ma'am: lệnh bà, phu nhân, thưa bà.
• massage: xoa bóp, mát-xa.
• prescription: toa thuốc , đơn thuốc.
• pressure: sức ép, áp suất, áp lực.
• relaxation: sự hồi phục, thư giãn.
• royalty: thuộc về hoàng tộc.
• salute: chào đón.
• scream: gào lên, thét lên.
• stress: căng thẳng.
• submerge: dìm, nhận chìm, lặn.
• suction: sự hút.
• trade: thương mại, buôn bán, mậu dịch.
• treat: thết đãi.
• vacation: kỳ nghĩ.
• vent: lỗ thông

*Yes/No Questions:
------------------------------------------------------------------
•Was it their first vacation together in years?
- Yes, it was.

•Had they been running their own bookstore for years?
-No, they hadn't. They had been running their own jewelry business for years.

•Did they make a nice income?
- Yes, they did.

•Did they have a lot of free time?
- No, they didn't. They were busy all the time.

•Did they go to lots of trade shows?
- Yes, they did.

•Did they drive throughout the U.S.?
- No, they didn't. They flew throughout the U.S.

•Did they fly to China and other countries?
- Yes, they did.

•Was their last vacation at least 20 years ago?
- No, it wasn't. Their last vacation at least 10 years ago.

•Was his high blood pressure good for him?
- No, it wasn't.

•Was his high blood pressure going to be the death of him?
- Yes, it was.

*Fill in the blanks:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
It was their first vacation together in years. Meg and Oscar had been running their own jewelry business for years. They made a nice income, but they were busy all the time. They went to one trade show after another, flying throughout the US and often to China and other countries. Their last vacation was at least ten years ago. Recently, Oscar’s doctor said that Oscar’s high blood pressure was going to be the death of him. After questioning Oscar about his eating and exercise habits, he concluded that Oscar was stressing himself out at work. He told Oscar that he needed to stop and smell the roses more often.

“In short,” he said, “I’m writing you a prescription for two weeks of R&R—rest and relaxation , immediately. In fact, I want you to take off four weeks a year, and these must be nonworking vacations. No cell phone, no laptop. Do you understandme? In case you don’t, I’m telling Meg, too . You might not listen to me, but you will listen to her.”

Meg canceled all their activities for the two weeks at the end of July. Fortunately , they did not have any flights scheduled. She booked them a nice hotel near Palm Springs. “We’ll catch up on our magazines, newspapers, and TV reruns,” she told Oscar. “We won’t even TALK about work for two weeks, okay? We’ll relax in the pool, ghet massages, and treat ourselves like royalty. Got it?”

Yes , ma’am,” Oscar said, smiling as he saluted her.

The hotel had failed to tell them that it was undergoing renovations. But when it offered everything at half price, Meg and Oscar stayed. The second morning, about 10, Oscar told Meg he was going to take a swim. She told him not to forget his sun block. She went back to sleep. When she woke up at noon, she put on her swim suit and went outside.

She couldn’t stop screaming when she saw Oscar submerged beneath the water. His foot had gotten caught in a suction vent that workers had not covered properly. He had been under waterfor ten minutes.

A month after the funeral, back home, Meg was going through her mail. The hotel , apparently worried about a lawsuit, had sent her an offer to stay there free for a month. The congenial letter suggested that she “Bring a friend!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Đây là kỳ nghỉ cùng nhau đầu tiên của họ trong nhiều năm. Meg và Oscar điều hành công ty kinh doanh nữ trang vàng bạc của riêng họ trong một thời gian dài. Họ có thu nhập cao, nhưng họ luôn luôn bận rộn. Họ phải đi từ cuộc triển lãm kinh doanh này đến cuộc triển lãm kinh doanh khác, bay từ đầu đến cuối nước Mỹ và thường xuyên tới Trung quốc và các nước khác. Kỳ nghỉ cuối cùng của họ cách đây ít nhất 10 năm. Mới đây, bác sĩ của Oscar cho biết huyết áp cao của Oscar sẽ khiến anh có thể chết. Sau khi dò hỏi Oscar về việc ăn uống và thói quen tập thể dục của anh, ông kết luận Oscar đã bị căng thẳng trong công việc. Ông bảo Oscar cần giảm tốc độ làm việc và bắt đầu tận hưởng cuộc sống nhiều hơn nữa.

"Tóm lại," ông nói, "Tôi viết cho anh toa thuốc dùng cho hai tuần là R&R-nghỉ ngơi và thư giãn, ngay lập tức. Thật ra, tôi muốn anh bỏ ra bốn tuần trong năm, và đó là những kỳ nghỉ không công việc. Không điện thoại di động, không máy vi tính xách tay. Anh hiểu tôi chứ? Trong trường hợp anh không thực hiện, tôi cũng sẽ bảo với Meg. Anh có thể không nghe lời tôi, nhưng anh sẽ nghe lời cô ấy."

Vào cuối tháng bảy, Meg đã huỷ bỏ tất cả hoạt động của họ trong hai tuần. Thật may mắn, họ không có lịch trình bay nào cả. Cô đặt cho họ một khách sạn xinh đẹp gần Palm Springs. "Chúng ta sẽ nắm được tình hình qua tạp chí, nhật báo, và các băng ghi hình của ti-vi," cô bảo với Oscar. "Chúng ta sẽ không NÓI về công việc trong hai tuần, được chứ? Chúng ta sẽ thư giãn trong hồ bơi, tẩm quất, và thết đãi chúng ta như những thành viên hoàng tộc. Rõ chưa?"

"Vâng, thưa quý bà," Oscar mĩm cười khi đứng nghiêm chào cô.

Khách sạn quên báo cho họ biết khách sạn đang trãi qua việc sửa chữa. Nhưng lúc được chào với giá giảm một nữa cho mọi thứ, Meg và Oscar đã ở lại. Vào buổi sáng ngày thứ hai, vào khoảng 10 giờ, Oscar bảo với Meg anh sẽ đi bơi. Cô bảo anh đừng quên mang theo kem chống nắng. Cô tiếp tục ngủ. Lúc thức giấc vào khoảng giữa trưa, cô mặc đồ bơi và bước ra ngoài.

Cô không thể ngừng la hét khi trông thấy Oscar chìm nghỉm dưới nước. Bàn chân anh bị mắc kẹt trong lỗ thông khí mà những người công nhân không đậy nắp thật kỹ. Anh đã ở dưới nước trong mười phút.

Một tháng sau lễ tang, trở về nhà, Meg xem lại mấy bức thư. Khách sạn, hình như lo sợ về vụ kiện tụng, đã gởi cho cô một lời mời ở lại khách sạn miễn phí trong một tháng. Bức thư thân mật đề nghị cô "Hãy mang theo một người bạn!"

441610 top -

@ chị HoangThiQuynhNhu

Bài dịch ESL 76: A Hot Day and a Cool Pool của chị rất tốt. Theo tôi, chị đã giải quyết tốt những điểm này:

1./ Trade Show
Definition: An exhibition for companies in a specific industry to showcase and demonstrate their new products and services.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/encyclopedi ... 2542.html2.

2./ stop and smell the roses
(idiomatic) To relax; to take time out of one's busy schedule to enjoy or appreciate the beauty of life.

3./ in short

4./catch up on something
1. to do whatever you have not had time to do I have to catch up on my reading.
2. to find out about something Most folks stop here for a cup of coffee while they catch up on the day's news.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/catch+up+on

Như vậy, chị đã làm việc rất cẩn thận, chu đáo. Tuy "got it" chị dịch hơi "cứng" một tí nhưng tựu trung vẫn là một bản dịch rất tốt, và không để lại lỗi.

Xin cám ơn chị. Chúc chị càng lúc càng mạnh tiến, vui khoẻ .
-----------------------------
P/S Theo tôi thì "got it" có nghĩa là "Hiểu chưa?/Rõ chưa" trong lối nói thân mật, có một chút bề trên, bảo ban, ra lệnh. Trong ngữ cảnh của bài, giọng điệu ra lệnh của người vợ lại mang nghĩa quan tâm lo lắng cho sức khoẻ người chồng. Cho nên người chồng mới đùa: "Yes, ma'am" tương đương với:"Vâng, rõ" hay "Vâng,tuân lênh."
Và động từ "salute" ở đây có nhiều khả năng là chào theo kiểu nhà binh.

441804 top -
Hi, phamdinhphung,

Phần trích dẫn đinh nghĩa các từ khó trong bài và phần phân tích trong từ got it, salute của anh rất hợp lý. Mình cũng vừa chỉnh lại phần dịch bài.

Thanks anh rất nhiều về sự động viên và góp ý cho bài làm của mình.

Những bài về sau càng lúc càng khó, vì vậy anh nhớ xem giúp nhé.

Chúc anh vui khoẻ.

441933 top -

. 1.New To America
. 2.A Haircut
. 3.The Yardman
. 4.Grab Your Umbrellas
. 5.Shopping for Bargains
. 6.Horses to Ride
. 7.A Shower Injury
. 8.Pete's Sharp Knife
. 9.A Good Sandwich
. 10.Sara's Upset Stomach
. 11.Please Marry Me!
. 12.Laundry Day
. 13.A Noisy Neighbor
. 14.The New Realtor
. 15.The Fire Alarm
. 16.Eddie's Short Visit
. 17.Carbon Monoxide
. 18.A Visit to Asia
. 19.School Boys
. 20.The Loose Button
. 21.The Pile of Paper
. 22.Brushing and Flossing
. 23.Raising the Kids
. 24.A Clean Toilet Bowl
. 25.A Love Letter
. 26.A Bird Attacks
. 27.A Daytime Robbery
. 28.Trick or Treat
. 29.The Motorcycle Rider
. 30.Spock Saves His Dad
. 31.Provider Overbills Customer
. 32.The Breakup
. 33.Famous Model Dies
. 34.Shopping Carts Everywhere
. 35.Four Slit Throats
. 36.Does Garlic Mean Garlic?
. 37.A Jealous Girlfriend
. 38.Towns Hit by Snowstorms
. 39.Another Jealous Girlfriend
. 40.She Loves Her Son
. 41.The Doctor’s Exam
. 42.Hospitals Can Make You Sick
. 43.English Is So Hard
. 44.Hollywood Stars and Tourists
. 45.GEICO’s TV Lizard
. 46.Law and Order in LA
. 47.Destruction of Iraq
. 48.Have You Seen This Man?
. 49.LA Traffic Report
. 50.LA Radio News

. 51.Trash Truck Misses Pick-up
. 52.Her First Driving Accident
. 53.You’re Not a Good Principal
. 54.I’ve Got You Covered
. 55.Paris Goes to Jail in LA
. 56.A Year with No TV
. 57.Let’s Buy Some Paint
. 58.I Need Water for My Clients
. 59.Putting Bunny to Sleep
. 60.Where Is That Darn Battery?
. 61.If You Really Love Me…
. 62.The Wedding Gift (1)
. 63.The Wedding Gift (2)
. 64.Does a Tiger Change Its Stripes?
. 65.No Place Like an Open House
. 66."We Could Have All Died!"
. 67.It’s the Thought that Counts
. 68.Who Ordered the Scallops?
. 69.You’re Not My Daddy
. 70.Let He Who Is Without Sin…
. 71.Shopping at the 99 Cents Store
. 72.Betting Big in Vegas
. 73.Priced to Sell!
. 74.The Handyman Comes
. 75.A Woman Has Needs
. 76.A Hot Day and a Cool Pool
. 77.Up, Up, and Away
. 78.Man's Best Friend
. 79.Six Feet Under
. 80.An Unhappy Worker
. 81.Why the Sky Is Brown
. 82.It’s a Small World
. 83.Suspicious Shoppers
. 84.Death Is Part of Life
. 85.Tagger Shoots Woman
. 86.Crime on the Rise
. 87.Too Soft on Crime
. 88.Pluto Chases Kid
. 89.In Harm’s Way
. 90."Semper Buy"
. 91.A Little Respect, Please
. 92.A Dream from Beyond-1
. 93.A Dream from Beyond-2
. 94.A Trip to Egypt
. 95.No Doughnuts for Old Folks
. 96.It’s Just Business
. 97.A Walk in the Wild
. 98.Elvis Is Alive and Well
. 99.Bad Weed, Bad Call
. 100.Shark Attack

. 101.Love in the Hospital
. 102.Interstate Bridge Collapses
. 103.Stop Selling Those Bunnies
. 104.Actor Tries to Kill Himself
. 105.US Senator Says He’s not Gay
. 106.E.Coli Is Everywhere
. 107.Influenza
. 108.The Hospital Orderly-1
. 109.The Hospital Orderly-2
. 110.Flower Power
. 111.Dog Inherits Millions
. 112.Man Holds Staff Hostage
. 113.Young Boy Defends Sister
. 114.Remember Me?
. 115.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 116.Sail Around the World
. 117.New Dog-Barking Law
. 118.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-1
. 119.Man Flies in Lawn Chair-2
. 120.Cleaning a Dirty Plate
. 121.Her Driving Lesson
. 122.Hurricane Dean
. 123.Adventurer Disappears
. 124.Nursing Student Disappears
. 125.The Lovely Banana
. 126.Smells like Chicken
. 127.The Wedding-1
. 128.The Wedding-2
. 129.The Waiter
. 130.Your Country Thanks You
. 131.D.B.Cooper Lives On-1
. 132.D.B.Cooper Lives On-2
. 133.I’m No Alcoholic!
. 134.48 Homes Burn Down-1
. 135.48 Homes Burn Down-2
. 136.Drought Attacks Georgia
. 137.A Bad MRI Experience
. 138.Body in a Barrel-1
. 139.Body in a Barrel-2
. 140.Red Meat, Gray Water
. 141.All Bite, No Bark
. 142.Tiger Kills Two Men-1
. 143.Tiger Kills Two Men-2
. 144.Red Flowers Make Her See Red
. 145.The Starbucks Robbery
. 146.The Argument-1
. 147.The Argument-2
. 148.The Toilet Tank-1
. 149.The Toilet Tank-2
. 150.Santa Was Molested

. 151.Fire Kills Two Young Girls
. 152.Police Arrest Fire-Starters
. 153.Get out of "Jail"-1
. 154.Get out of "Jail"-2
. 155.New Year Celebrations
. 156.$50K to Waitress-1
. 157.$50K to Waitress-2
. 158.Who Needs School?
. 159.Black Friday
. 160.JFK Assassination
. 161.Don’t Top Off the Tanks
. 162.The Clapper
. 163.Tuberculosis Still Kills
. 164.Old Dogs Become Young Again
. 165.Ham and Eggplant
. 166.A Hole in Her Ear-1
. 167.A Hole in Her Ear-2
. 168.The Drugs Keep Coming
. 169.Missing Husband-1
. 170.Missing Husband-2
. 171.Don’t Get Mad-Get Even
. 172.The Christmas Gift-1
. 173.The Christmas Gift-2
. 174.The Haircut-1
. 175.The Haircut-2
. 176.The Robbery at the Mall-1
. 177.The Robbery at the Mall-2
. 178.The Driving Lesson-1
. 179.The Driving Lesson-2
. 180.The Move to Georgia-1
. 181.The Move to Georgia-2
. 182.I’ll Get a Job in a Restaurant
. 183.A Cleaner River-1
. 184.A Cleaner River-2
. 185.The Spitter
. 186.Kill Those Flies-1
. 187.Kill Those Flies-2
. 188.The Oil Change-1
. 189.The Oil Change-2
. 190.Boy Starts Huge Fire
. 191.Writers Go on Strike
. 192.Please Don’t Hurt Me!
. 193.It’s Just a Little White Lie
. 194.Jury Service in California
. 195.The Rude Golfer-1
. 196.The Rude Golfer-2
. 197.Man Invents Toilet for Cars
. 198.Monkeys Cause Man’s Death
. 199.The Light Eater-1
. 200.The Light Eater-2

. 201.Sara Went Shopping
. 202.Man Injured at Fast Food Place
. 203.A Life-Saving Cow
. 204.Driver Loses Mabel, Finds Jail
. 205.Jerry Decided To Buy a Gun
. 206.Freeway Chase
. 207.Better To Be Unlucky
. 208.Food Fight Erupted in Prison
. 209.How His Pig is Doing
. 210.Goats Being Hired
. 211.A Missing Cat
. 212.Book Him
. 213.Water Under the Sink-1
. 214.Water Under the Sink-2
. 215.Theft Occurs Everywhere
. 216.Eggs and a Bunny
. 217.Goodbye to Clean Couple
. 218.$100 Deposit
. 219.Books Don’t Grow on Trees
. 220.A Murder-Suicide
. 221.New Store and Its Owners
. 222.Hit-and-Run Charge
. 223.Gasoline Prices Hit Record High
. 224.A Festival of Books
. 225.Crazy Housing Prices
. 226.Happy and Unhappy Renters
. 227.Pulling Out Nine Tons of Trash
. 228.Cloning Pets
. 229.Rentals at the Oceanside
. 230.Trees Are a Threat
. 231.Gets Booked, Writes a Book
. 232.Popular Park Reopens
. 233.Swim Classes Begin Soon
. 234.Not Sitting Around
. 235.Get Millions for Homeless
. 236.Tenants Watch Building Burn
. 237.Bathtub Blues
. 238.Blood Drive at Civic Center
. 239.City Hosts 42nd Art Fair
. 240.City and Crime
. 241.Bank Robbery
. 242.Immigration Goes Online
. 243.Jimmy Fixes His Door
. 244.Needs a New Air-Conditioner
. 245.Man Gets 12 Years for Fraud
. 246.Man Shoots Up Post Office
. 247.Murals Are Over 200 Years Old
. 248.Pier Collapses
. 249.Cameras in Police Cars
. 250.A School Girl Sues Her School

. 251.SUV Driver Sends Officer Flying
. 252.Boy Drowns in Neighbor's Pool
. 253.Woman Dies in House Fire
. 254.Plane Crashes into House
. 255.Fishing for Girls
. 256.Shot Next to Christmas Tree
. 257.Stabbed Outside Nightclub
. 258.Fishing Boat Sinks
. 259.The Mysterious Carport Stain
. 260.Lies About Winning Lottery
. 261.Victory Dance Leads to Death
. 262.Eat Your Vegetables
. 263.Honk if You're in a Hurry
. 264.The Man Who Loved Women
. 265.How to Get out of Jury Duty
. 266.The Way to a Man’s Heart
. 267.Female Seeks Mature Male
. 268.Let’s Go Fishing
. 269.Train Wreck “Frees” Cows
. 270.Valuable Guitar Found
. 271.Stepmother Kills Herself
. 272.Beautiful Teacher Smiles
. 273.Are Criminals Taking Over LA?
. 274.Police Arrest Happy Van Driver
. 275.Say Your Prayers
. 276.The Final Phone Call
. 277.Almost Perfect Children
. 278.There Goes the Neighborhood!
. 279.Let’s Go to Vegas!
. 280.Squirrel Attacks Woman
. 281.To Save His Baby
. 282.English Is Confusing
. 283.Pump Up the Tires
. 284.Don’t Go Swimming
. 285.The Park That Went to the Dogs
. 286.Can You Spare a Carburetor?
. 287.Golf Like a Girl
. 288.Take Me Out to the Ball Game
. 289.Take This Job and Shove It
. 290.Where Did That Book Go?
. 291.When You’ve Got Your Health
. 292.That ‘New Car’ Smell
. 293.Inviting Poor Student to Dinner
. 294.When I'm in the Bathroom
. 295.It Was an Old, Worthless Clock
. 296.Five-Finger Discount on Candy
. 297.Collecting Seashells
. 298.At the Store Entrance
. 299.We Will See the World
. 300.Get Me a Caffe Latte

. 301.The Slow Computer-1
. 302.The Slow Computer-2
. 303.The Careful Reader
. 304.Avoid the Flu
. 305.Magician Attracts Women
. 306.US Border Patrol
. 307.Car Shopping in California
. 308.Happy Anniversary
. 309.“Read All about It!”
. 310.A Factory Worker
. 311.Bad Pork
. 312.Don’t Eat the Meat
. 313.Copper Robbers
. 314.Weekly Driving Lessons-1
. 315.Weekly Driving Lessons-2
. 316.Laundry Day-1
. 317.Laundry Day-2
. 318.The Bargain CD Set-1
. 319.The Bargain CD Set-2
. 320.It’s All Over
. 321.The New Clothes-1
. 322.The New Clothes-2
. 323.Food as Punishment
. 324.US Passports Outsourced
. 325.The Demanding Son
. 326.A Practical Joke
. 327.The Dead Pedestrian
. 328.Bad News, Good News
. 329.The Cluster Balloonist
. 330.The Rude Clerk
. 331.The Tax Charge
. 332.The Fire in the Hills-1
. 333.The Fire in the Hills-2
. 334.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-1
. 335.The Vacuum Cleaner Filter-2
. 336.The Rental Car-1
. 337.The Rental Car-2
. 338.The Marathon Cheater
. 339.School Bus Crashes
. 340.Don’t Take My Property
. 341.New Law for Taco Trucks
. 342.The Refund-1
. 343.The Refund-2
. 344.Shut Your Mouth
. 345.TSA’s New Policy-1
. 346.TSA’s New Policy-2
. 347.I’m Pregnant
. 348.Court Approves Same-Sex Marriage
. 349.Impolite to His Brother
. 350.Protecting the Public
. 351.Malibu to License Paparazzi
. 352.I'm Moving to NY
. 353.The Heart Attack-1
. 354.The Heart Attack-2
. 355.Let's Speak English

THE END

Update: October 16th, 2016.
PayPal về email:
[email protected]

Chi phiếu gửi về:
Jimmy Ton
4369 46 St.
San Diego, CA 92115

Việt Nam chuyển tới:
Phạm Thị Tuyết Phượng
Số tài khoản: 4973099
ACB Châu Văn Liêm, TPHCM

Ý kiến về Quỹ VietDitru

*THÔNG TIN QUAN TRỌNG: Do tình hình dịch COVID-19 diễn biến phức tạp, từ ngày 19/3, Đại Sứ Quán và Lãnh Sự Quán Hoa Kỳ sẽ ngừng phỏng vấn cấp xét thị thực. Toàn bộ lịch hẹn từ ngày 19/3 trở đi sẽ bị huỷ. Xem thông tin chi tiết

ESL đăng ký: Bạn không cần phải đăng ký gì cả. Chỉ việc nhẩy vào bài ESL 1 học và làm bài tập. Tiếp tục những bài kế tiếp càng nhanh càng tốt. Mình sẽ 888 và thỉnh thoảng cùng nhau nhắc nhở cho vui hén. Chứ thật ra việc học là việc của tự bản thân mình. Mình giỏi thì mình được nhờ hén.

Nickname           # bài
-----------------------------------------
Anthonydavetruong 51
BaoLaTinhChua 1
Bluecloud 1
bongbong 3
Brianthao08 2
Brenda 8
Cachua 4
Catandpuppy 2
Chaubaoct 11
Chauongco 2