Luyện thi SAT
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 - bottom

15 bài thi trắc nghiệm SAT
Mc Graw Hill

SAT: Viết Tắt của chữ Subject Achievement Test

Lời mở đầu

Đây là quyển sách giới thiệu về 15 bài thi trắc nghiệm SAT do tác giả Mc Graw Hill tổng hợp và biên soạn, có giá bán trên 400 ngàn đồng tại các hiệu sách ở Việt Nam.

15 bài Test này gồm nhiều lĩnh vực Lịch sử, Toán học, Vật Lý, ngoại ngữ... giành cho các học sinh đã tốt nghiệp trung học và muốn ôn luyện thi có chứng chỉ SAT để vào trường college ở Mỹ.

Mỗi bài Test có 90 câu trắc nghiệm, thời gian làm bài trong vòng 60 phút.

Khi làm bài, thí sinh sẽ tô hoàn toàn hình ovan trên lựa chọn của mình.

Đặc điểm của bài thi SAT nhằm để tránh cho việc tô đại các kết quả dù không biết câu trả lời, người chấm điểm sẽ cho 1 điểm cho câu trả lời đúng và trừ 0.25 điểm cho câu trả lời sai.

Trong trường hợp không biết câu trả lời, người ta khuyến khích nên để trống, chúng ta sẽ không bị điểm trừ.

lanhuongbm xin phép post lần lượt các câu hỏi, hết 90 câu sẽ post phần trả lời, cộng thêm những dịch thuật nếu thời gian cho phép.

Trong quá trình học tập, mong các bạn cùng hướng dẫn thêm những sai sót. Nào mình cùng học nha.

Thân mến,
lanhuongbm

CONTRIBUTORS

U.S. History
Daniel Farabaugh, Editor
Westfield High School, Westfield, NJ

517166 top -

CONTENTS

All About the SAT Subject Tests /ix
Strategies for Top Scores /xi

- THE SAT U.S. HISTORY TEST /1

* All About the SAT U.S. History Test /1
* Test-Taking Strategies for the SAT U.S. History Test /3
* U.S. History Practice Test 1/17
* U.S. History Practice Test 2/37

-----------------------------------------------------------
All About the SAT Subject Tests /ix

What Are the SAT Subject Tests?

The SAT Subject Tests (formely called the Achievement Tests) are a series of collegue entrance tests that cover specific academic subject areas. Like the better-known SAT Reasoning Test, which measures general verbal and math skills, the SAT Subject Tests are given by the College Entrance Examination Board. Colleges and universities often require applicants to take one or more SAT Subject Tests along with the SAT Reasoning Test.

SAT Subject Tests are generally not as difficult as Advanced Placement tests, but they may cover more than is taught in basic school courses. Students usually take an SAT Subject Test after completing an Advanced Placement course or an Honors course in the subject area.

How Do I Know If I Need to Take SAT Subject Tests?

Review the admissions requirements of the colleges to which you plan to apply. Each college will have its ơwn requirements. Many colleges require that you take a minimum number of SAT Subject Tests-usually one or two. Some require that you take SAT Subject Tests in specific subjects. Some may not require SAT Subject Test scores at all.

When Are SAT Subject Test Given, and How Do I Register for Them?

SAT Subject Tests are usually given on six weekend dates spread throughout the academic year. These dates are usually the same ones on which the SAT Reasoning Test is given. To find out the test dates, visit the College Board website at http://www.colleboard.com. You can also register for a test at the web-site. Click on the tabs marked "students" and follow the directions you are given. You will need to use a credit card if you register on line. As an alternative, you can register for SAT Subject Tests by mail using the registration form in the SAT Registration Bulletin, which should be available from your high school guidance counselor.

How Many SAT Subject Tests Should I Take?

You can take as many SAT Subject Tests as you wish. According to the College Board, more than one-half of all SAT Subject Test takers take three tests, and about one-quarter take four or more tests. Keep in mind, however, that you can take only three tests on a single day. If you want to take more than three tests, you will need to take the others on a different testing date. When deciding how many SAT Subject Tests to take, base on your decision on the requirements of the colleges to which you plan to apply. It is probably not a good idea to take many more SAT Subject Tests than you need. You will probably do better by focusing only on those your preferred colleges requires.

Which SAT Subject Tests Should I Take?

If a college to which you are applying requires one or more specific SAT Subject Tests, then, of course, you must take those particular tests. If the college simply requires that you take a minimum number of SAT Subject Tests, then choose the test or tests for which you think you are the best prepared and likely to get the best score. If you have taken an Advanced Placement course or an Honors course in a particular subject and done well in that course, then you should probably consider taking an SAT Subject Test in that subject.

When should I Take SAT Subject Tests?

Timing is important. It is a good idea to take an SAT Subject Test as soon as possible after completing a course in the test subject, while the course material is still fresh in your mind. If you plan to take an SAT Subject Test in a subject that you have not studied recently, make sure to leave yourself enough time to review the course material before taking the test.

What Do I Need on the Day of the Test?

To take an SAT Subject Test, you will need an admission ticket to enter the exam room and acceptable forms of photo identification. You will also need two number 2 pencils. Be sure that the erasers work well at erasing without leaving smudge marks. The tests are scored by machine, and scoring can be inaccurate if there are smudges or other stray marks on the answer sheet.

Any devices that make noise, such as cell phones or wristwatch alarms, should be turn off during the test. Such study aids as dictionaries and review books, as well as food and beverages, are barred from the test room.

How Are SAT Subject Tests Scored?

On an SAT Subject Test, your "raw score" is calculated as follows: You receive one point for each question you answer correctly, but you lose one-quarter of a point (one-third of a point on the language tests) for each question you answer incorrectly. You do not gain or lose any points for questions that you do not answer at all. Your raw score is then converted into a scaled score by statistical method that takes into account how well you did compared to others who took the same test. Scaled scores range from 200 to 800 points. You scaled score will be reported to you, to your high school, and to the colleges and universities that you designate to receive it.

When will I Receive My Score?

Scores are mailed to students approximately 3 to 4 weeks after the test. If you want to find out your score a week or so earlier, you can do so for free by accessing the College Board website or for $10 by calling 800-SAT-SCORE.

How Do I Submit My Score to Colleges and Universities?

When you register to take the SAT Reasoning Test or SAT Subject Tests, your fee includes free reporting of your scores to up to four colleges and universities. To have your scores reported to additional schools, visit the College Board website or call 800-SAT-SCORE. You will need to pay an addtional fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Strategies for Top Scores

When you take any SAT Subject Test, you'll want to do everything you can to make sure you get your best possible score. That means studying right, building good problem-solving skills, and learning proven test-taking strategies. Here are some tips to help you do your best.

- THE SAT U.S. HISTORY TEST /1

* All About the SAT U.S. History Test /1
* Test-Taking Strategies for the SAT U.S. History Test /3
* U.S. History Practice Test 1/17
* U.S. History Practice Test 2/37

517190 top -

THE SAT U.S. HISTORY TEST

U.S. HISTORY PRACTICE TEST 1
Time: 60 Minutes

Directions: Each of the questions or incomplete statements below is followed by five suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case and then fill in the corresponding oval on the answer sheet.

1. Women who opposed passage of the Equal Rights Amendment did so primarily because

(A) they believed that women do not deserve the same rights as men

(B) they did not want to lose certain priviledges, such as excemption from the military draft

(C) they felt that it would destroy women's role in the home

(D) they thought it was best to fight for equality on a local level

(E) they did not want to lose any of the rights for which they had fought for so many decades

* ANSWERS AND EXPLANATIONS:

B Women have certain privilegedges in U.S. society, such as exemption from the military draft. Women who opposed the ERA preferred to those priviledges

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phần học và dịch của lanhuongbm:-

Phụ nữ có vài ưu tiên ở xã hội Mỹ, như là được miễn tuyển chọn vào quân đội. Những người phụ nữ phản đối thông qua luật sửa đổi quyền bình đẳng (ERA = Equal Rights Ammendment) ưa chuộng những đặc quyền này.

517531 top -

2. Which of the following granted all African American men age 21 and over the right to vote?

(A) The Emancipation Proclamation
(B) The Reconstruction Acts
(C) The Freedmen's Bureau
(D) The Fifteenth Amendment
(E) The Enforcement Acts

D. The Fifteenth Amendment states that no one can be banned from voting because of "race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

Phần học và dịch của lanhuongbm:-

D Lần Sửa đổi thứ mười lăm ghi rõ rằng không ai bị cấm bầu cử do "chủng tộc, màu da, hay những tình trạng nô lệ trước đây"

517532 top -

3. Which of the following administrations authorized continued financial aid to the Nicaraguan Contras in defiance of congressional laws against it?

(A) Gerald Ford
(B) Jimmy Carter
(C) Ronald Reagan
(D) George H.W.Bush
(E) George W.Bush

(C) Reagan was exonerated from any wrongdoing, but it was his administration that aided the Nicaraguan Contras in defiance of congression laws.

517533 top -

4. The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 specified which of the following?

(A) The federal governement would sell land in the Northwest Territory on credit.

(B) The Northwest Territory was divided into townships and lots that were sold to the public.

(C) Any precious metals discovered in the North-west Territory were the property of the federal governement.

(D) Only Native Americans were entitled to live in the Northwest Territory.

(E) When a section of the Northwest Territory had a large enough population, it could draft a constitution and apply for statehood.

E The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 set forth the rules for how the sections of the North-west Territory could become states.

Từ vựng

- ordinance: sắc lệnh
- constitution: hiến pháp

517568 top -

5. Eleanor Roosevelt accomplished all the following EXCEPT:

(A) writing a daily newspaper column
(B) holding the post of special ambassador to the United Nations
(C) visiting soldiers in dangerous combat zones such as Guadalcanal
(D) taking a public stand in favour of civil rights for African Americans
(E) founding the National Organization for Women

E Eleanor Roosevelt's daily column was called "My Day"; she was instrumental in passing the UN Declaration of Human Rights; she frequently traveled abroad to visit U.S. servicemen in hospitals; and she is famous for having resigned from an organization that would not allow the African American contralto Marian Anderson to sing in its hall, and then helping to arrange Anderson's concert at the Lincoln Memorial.

517569 top -

6. In the aftermath of World War I, President Woodrow Wilson

(A) urged U.S. neutrality toward European nations
(B) fought for the establishment of the League of Nations
(C) signed the Balfour Declaration with Great Britain
(D) participated in a peace conference in Berlin
(E) vetoed the Esspionage and Sedition Acts

B Wilson fought an uphill battle against the U.S. Congress to establish the League of Nations, which he lost; the League was founded, but the United States did not play any part in it.

Từ vựng

League: Liên minh
vetoed: phủ quyết

518100 top -

7. Hillary Rodham Clinton is the first first lady to do which of the following?

(A) hold elected political office
(B) publish an autobiography
(C) fight for eductation and health-care reform
(D) get a college education
(E) restore and redecorate public rooms in the White House

A Clinton was elected to the U.S. Senate from New York after she left the White House.

518101 top -

8. The Black Codes of the late 1860s had which of the following purposes?

(A) to restore the status quo of Southern society before the Civil War
(B) to enforce freedmen's right to vote
(C) to allow African Americans to hold elected office
(D) to intimidate Democrats into staying away from the polls
(E) to nullify the Secession Acts of 1860 and 1861

A The Black Codes varied from state to state, but they all abridged the rights of African Americans. Southern legislatures could not restore slavery, but they insisted on continuing a system of racial segregation and oppression.

518104 top -

9. During the mid-1800s farmers faced all the following problem EXCEPT:

(A) The supply of crops exceeded the demand for them.
(B) The incurred debt from purchases of land or equipment.
(C) The prices of crops had fallen.
(D) There were no protective tariffs on imported crops.
(E) The Grange and Alliance movements prevented them from organizing.

E The Grange and Alliance movements did the opposite; they were national organizations that helped farmers band together to achieve common goals.

518107 top -

10. Strikes led by members of the International Ladies "Garment Workers" Union had all the following effects EXCEPT:

(A) Employers agreed to raise wages.
(B) Employers agreed to shorten the workweek.
(C) Employers agreed to close the shop.
(D) Union membership rose by the tens of thousands.
(E) Many African American women joined the strikers

C Employers continued to fight the idea of a closed shop; they insisted that they would not require any workers to join unions.

518108 top -

11. Theodore Roosevelt began his presidency with all the following goals EXCEPT:

(A) fighting rigid class distinctions in U.S. society
(B) speaking his mind on important issues of the day
(C) forcing corporations to serve the public good
(D) overseeing ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment
(E) fighting unethical and illegal conduct in big businesses

D The Nineteenth Amendment was passed during the presidency of Woodrow Wilson.

518109 top -

12. Which of the following does NOT characterize the Clinton administrations of the 1990s?

(A) Economic prosperity
(B) Federal budget surpluses
(C) Low unemployment rates
(D) Passage of important social legislation
(E) Strained relations with foreign allies

E President Clinton had exceptionally good relations with traditional U.S. allies.

518113 top -

13. American Tories remained loyal to Great Britain during the Revolutionary War for all the following reasons EXCEPT:

(A) belief that it was immoral to turn against a hereditary monarch
(B) desire to protect the power and wealth they enjoyed as British subjects

(C) personal loyalty to King George III
(D) unwillingness to commit what they believed was treason by taking up arms against Britain

(E) belief that the various acts of Paliament were neither onerous nor oppressive.

E Tories did not like the acts of Parliament any better than other colonists, but they did not see independence as a viable solution.

518115 top -
Luyện thi SAT
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7

PRONUNCIATION

LESSON 1
LESSON 2
LESSON 3
LESSON 4
LESSON 5
LESSON 6
LESSON 7
LESSON 8